Wednesday, July 29, 2015

"Almond Joy" Biscotti

If I were to list my mother's favorite flavors, the list would start with chocolate, lemon, coconut and almond.  These Almond-Joy Biscotti would definitely hit three of her favorites!

Almond Joy was first introduced in 1946 by the Winjamy Candy Company in Boston, Massachusetts.  It had replaced the Dream Bar, created in 1936 that contained diced almonds and coconut.  In 1978 Peter Paul merged with the Cadbury Candy Company, then in 1988, Hershey's purchased the U.S. portion of the company.  Even though, Peter Paul doesn't own any portion of the company, the name still appears on the wrapper.  Remember the jingle in the 70s..."sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't...Almond Joy got nuts, Mounds don't!"  Well, these biscotti don't have Almond Joys chopped up in them, but I did incorporate almonds, coconut, and chocolate to get my spin on this very popular combination.

Almond Joy Biscotti
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 cup sweetened coconut
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup chopped almond slices
2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together thoroughly.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed with a rubber spatula.  Add the extracts and mix once more.

Add the coconut, chocolate chips and almonds with 1 cup of the flour, baking powder, and salt to the batter.  Mix on low until blended.  Remove from the stand and stir in the remaining 1 cup of flour.  Divide the dough and pat them into 12" x 3" logs.  Dampen your hands and smooth the top of the dough.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
Allow to cool about 10 minutes, then use a serrated knife to slice the logs into 3/4-inch slices.  Place face down on a parchment lined baking pan.  Return to the oven and bake 7 minutes, remove from the oven and turn the slices over and bake another 7 minutes.
Allow to cool completely before packing them up into your cookie jar:-D  These cookies have a long shelf life, but I highly doubt they will last very long.  Enjoy! 

11 comments:

  1. Now this flavor combination sounds so good that I might have to rethink my stand on biscotti. Definitely more easy to make and bake than cookies in this heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biscotti are my all time fav cookie to bake. And I abso love coconut ..... unfortunately the rest of the fam do not. I see a half and half coming up.
    I have made biscotti in homage to the Terry's chocolate orange balls too. Adding lots of orange zest to a plain dough ---- bake them off ---- then dunk them in melted chocolate. NOW those are a family hit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness and I do love mine with nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These would taste so good with a cup of tea! Yum! xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two of my favorite candy bars ! When I get my new "old" kitchen remodeled, I must try this recipe. In mid afternoon, I love biscotti with a cup of tea.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like almond biscottis!
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, I would absolutely love this biscotti, because I love Almond Joys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look wonderful! I was just driving back from vacation on Fire Island and saw a sign for biscotti at a small roadside bake stand. It got me thinking that a batch of biscotti would be a good 'next cookie' ... I'm thinking I'll try your recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These twice baked cookies look scrumptious with almonds, coconut and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete