Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Apple Cider Melt-Aways & April's Apron Winner

I prepared a "Care" package for my sister last week for her homecoming from the hospital and one of the treats were these shortbread cookies.  Shortbread is always a good traveler even though I can send a package via FedEx in one day to her.  These were simple to make and with my hectic schedule last week, they did the trick.

I wanted to get them posted before I left to teach at the Great Yosemite Stamp Get Away hosted each year by The Cats Meow, but time ran out:-)  It's held at Bass Lake with a beautiful serene setting, but my friend and fellow-teacher, Els van de Burgt and I arrived early so we could go to Yosemite, just about 30 minutes from where we were staying.  Yosemite is the first National Park and if you've ever been there, one of the most amazing.  However, the last four years, a draught took it's toll until this past winter when, thanks to El Nino, the rains and snow came.  The scenes were breathtaking and I wanted to share them...


El Capitan in the distance
Half Dome in Glacier Point







APPLE CIDER MELT-AWAYS

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and browned
1 1/2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
2-3 T sparkling water

Glaze:
1 1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 T Karo light syrup
1 T Boiled Cider
2 T hot water

Brown the butter first.  In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, then bring it to a boil.  Once it starts boiling, swirl the pan until it passes the "foamy" stage and becomes a deep amber color.  Remove from the heat and transfer the browned butter to a bowl.  Refrigerate at least one hour until the butter becomes solid again.

Remove the butter from the refrigerator and allow it to come back to room temperature.   In a medium bowl, which together all of the dry ingredients.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the browned butter until smooth.   Turn the mixer on low and add the dry ingredients.  Add the Boiled Cider and Sparkling water and mix just until the dough comes together.  Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a log, about 1 1/2-inches wide by 10 inches long.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Remove one log at a time and use a serrated knife to slice dough into 1/4-inch thick rounds.
Bake cookies for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.

Allow the cookies to cool, then make the glaze.  Spread the glaze on the top of each cookie.  Allow the glaze to set completely before packing them up to send or put into the cookie jar.  Enjoy!


Now, I'd like to announce the winner of April's Give-Away Apron is Barbara Woods!  Please contact me and I will happily send this to you right away!  I hope to have May's beautiful apron up tomorrow with a new recipe:-D




11 comments:

  1. I love the use of cider in these cookies and they look wonderfully delicious, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shortbread cookies so these are calling my name. I haven't been to Yosemite since I was a teenager but it is one gorgeous National Treasure for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scottish shortbread is one of my favourites Susan but I had never thought to add cider. They look delicious. Cider which we call Scrumpy,from where I am from. Somerset in the Uk is known as the cider county and I can remember my father using cider on a Sunday roast.

    Another beautiful apron for a very lucky winner :-)

    keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Barbara! It's good to see the land come back to green and lush with plenty of water. Refreshing! Wanted to ask so that I don't assume...on the glaze...is that one T for the boiled cider?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'll fix that. 1Tablespoon of Boiled Cider.

      Delete
  5. Yosemite National Park is just gorgeous and your photos are as well, Susan. We watched the PBS series on the National Parks recently and found it to be quite interesting.
    Your recipe looks divine! What a nice gift to your sister.
    Congratulations to the winner of another of your lovley aprons! xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family had been there before, but I have to say, this time was spectacular with all the falls, beautiful blue skies, and majestic mountains!

      Delete
  6. have fun at Yosemite National Park and at your classes. Apple cider cookies sound soooooo good. congrats to Barb for winning the apron.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The care package with the Apple Cider cookies arrived the day I got home from the hospital and let me tell you that they are the most delicious little morsels I have ever eaten!! Can't thank you enough, Sis. The pictures of Yosemite are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous pics of Yosemite! I have only been there once, when I was about 9 years old. We camped there... my parents, sisters and cousin, and step-sister. Quite a group of us. Lots of good memories from that trip!
    The melt-aways look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete