Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Summer's Savory~Sweet Shortbread and May's Apron Winner

My husband loves shortbread; he's Scottish and I've made dozens throughout the years.  However, I've never done a savory one so my experimenting today ventured into that category.

The days are getting warmer--our temperatures are in the 80s--and with picnics and gatherings part of the summer faire, I decided why not have a shortbread that would go great with a fruit & cheese platter.  Making a normally sweet dessert into a savory one is a challenge, but choosing the right flavor profile makes it easier.  Today, I chose three of my favorite flavors...apple, Gruyere cheese, and rosemary.

There are certainly other combinations that go just as well and you might want to experiment with them yourself.

Summer's Savory~Sweet Shortbread
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar (icing sugar)
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 T Rosemary, finely chopped
3/4 cup dried apple, finely chopped
1 cup Gruyere Cheese, finely grated
2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 325F-degrees.  Spray a 9" square baking pan with a baking spray and set aside.

In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter well.  Add the sugar, salt, and cayenne pepper and mix to combine.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.  Add the Rosemary, apple, and Gruyere Cheese and mix again.  Add the flour and mix until the dough starts to come together--don't over mix!

Dump the "shaggy" dough into the prepared pan and press evenly, using your fingers or the back of a measuring cup.

Use a fork or a "docker" to create holes in the shortbread.  This will make for even baking.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and use a knife to score lines while the shortbread is still warm.  I use a "springform" square pan, so removing the sides and finishing cutting the shortbread is easy.  Serve warm or cooled...it's up to you. Shortbread will last up to 3 weeks, but with the cheese in this savory one, I would recommend keeping it in the refrigerator to prevent spoilage.  Enjoy!


Now, the winner of May's apron is Julie Rose!  Please email me your address and I will get this beautiful apron off to you.  Tomorrow, I will have June's apron up, so look for it with another recipe!

7 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good shortbread. I like shortbread, too. congrats to apron winner.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shortbread is my favourite. Sweet and savoury..a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny isn't it ... I never think to make shortbread except at Christmas. Guess it's time to think outside the box.
    Congrats to Julie Rose. I won one of your aprons a couple years ago and wear it every time I bake..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosemary in this shortbread sounds yummy! I have several rosemary bushes in my yard and sometimes I just go out and 'pet' them. Love the fragrance it leaves on my hands! Congrats to Julie Rose on winning the beautiful apron!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so excited to have won the May apron--thank you....this shortbread looks yummy..I'll be donning my apron to try this one out for sure..hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to Julierose! Your aprons are the best, Susan. A savory shortbread would be yummy, especially with rosemary. xo ♥

    ReplyDelete