Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Autumn Roasted Pear Bundt Cake with Browned Butter Glaze

I love the flavors of Autumn!  I bake a lot with pumpkin and apples, but when a good friend mentioned she had a wonderful slice of Roasted Pear Cake in a tavern in Maine, well my taste buds began salivating and I couldn't wait to come up with something my family could enjoy.

Pears, like apples are Fall fruits and although there may not be as many varieties as apples, there is a pretty good variety.  I used Bartlett in this recipe, but next time, I'm trying Bosc or Anjou just to see if the flavors change.

Autumn Roasted Pear Bundt Cake with Browned Butter Glaze

2 1/2 lbs (about 5) pears
3 T water
3 T granulated sugar
juice from 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 375F-degrees.  Peel, core and chop the pears into 1-inch pieces.  Transfer the pears to a baking dish and toss them with the lemon juice, water, and sugar.  Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until the pears are soft and cooked through, 30-45 minutes.


 Remove the foil and let the pears cool to room temperature, then mash them, leaving some larger bits of pear in the sauce.  Measure out 2 cups of pear sauce and set aside--you can save the rest to have with breakfast ;-)


1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup creme fraiche
3 cups King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. cardamon
2 cups Pear Sauce

Turn the oven down to 350F-degrees.  Butter and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan and set aside.

In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter, oil and brown sugar together until fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.  Add the creme fraiche and mix to combine.

Add the dry ingredients and the pear sauce, mixing just until combined.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan and tap on the counter top to release any air.  Bake the cake until golden and cooked through--55 to 65 minutes.  Let the cake cool about 10 minutes in the pan, then invert it onto a rack to cool completely.

Browned Butter Glaze
6 T unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 to 4 T milk
pinch of salt

In a small saucepan, over medium heat, cook the butter until it lightly browns and smells nutty.  Remove from the heat and transfer to a large bowl.  Add a pinch of salt.  Let cool completely.

Whisk in the confectioners' sugar adding milk as needed to create a pourable glaze.  Pour over the cooled cake.

I wish I could say we were actually having Autumn, but alas...it's been in the upper 80s/90s and feels more like July!  However, a bite of this wonderful cake, I can imagine.  Enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. You must have read my mind Susan...I have a beautiful new baking bundt pan I want to use and wanted a pear recipe....you are such an inspiration! Thank you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we think alike...sister from another mother!

      Delete
  2. Susan-What is the measuring device holding the pears? Does the bottom of that slide? I've got to find one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find them online; great for semi-solid ingredients like apple/pear sauce, peanut butter, molasses. My daughter, Kelly gave me this one she got through a home kitchen sales called Pampered Chef, but I've seen them at kitchen stores as well.

      Delete
  3. It feels like Autumn in Texas this morning! That means it’s only in the 70’s today! It will be back up in the 90’s by the weekend so I am savoring this day! I used to make a pear cake using the fruit from a neighbor’s tree. They did not make good eating out of hand but were delicious in the cake.
    Thank you for the recipe! I see you have even supplied the ‘Print’ button! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've hit close to 90 the last few days and very humid! I can't wait for 70s:-)

      Delete
  4. It's almost snow season here!

    Anyways, I have a question. Why do Americans call Icing Sugar, Confectioner's?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, here's my thought...It's so named here because confectioners needed a sugar to icing their baked goods and the industry came up with one that is milled to a powder with a little anti-clumping agent (corn starch) added. Hence, Confectioners' sugar or powdered sugar, but it's all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have me at that browned butter glaze. This is a perfect cake to share with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to make this for my husband. He loves pears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe sounds absolutely wonderful! My cousin has just given me a large box of fresh pears and I have been searching for a good recipe! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky for you. I need to go to the Farmer's Market and get some more. I want to do some Pear Butter too.

      Delete
  9. Your blog was absolutely fantastic!
    Great deal of great information & this can be useful some or maybe the other way.
    Keep updating your blog,anticipating to get more detailed contents.
    ตารางบอล

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep sharing such amazing blogs. Stain resistant apron provider offers fashion transparent apron with pink and black strap. Place an order for clear aprons or transparent aprons.
    hairdressing essentials

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for such a great post you wrote here and I'm very obliged to write an article here on the benefit of herbal herbs.I am 29 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer, ease of treatment and a similar story, except for my first acceptance as a rejection of herbal medicine. I was not part of the Perseid movement and did not really build relationships with any of them, I just believed in their operation. I say this because it was during the use of Dr. Itua herbal medicine that I now attest that herbal medicine is real, the phytotherapy Dr. Itua heals my breast cancer which I suffered for 2 years. Dr. Itua herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same breast cancer or any type of human illness, including HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer. , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / MAN, LOT OF LOVE, LOTTERY. ITS CONTACT EMAIL / WHATSAPP: Or drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ +2348149277967



    ReplyDelete
  12. Your exceptional blog commands my utmost respect and admiration. I am grateful for the valuable insights you provide and the dedication you put into creating such an insightful platform.

    Well Health Hub, LLC
    wellhealthhub.com/blog

    ReplyDelete