Monday, October 25, 2010

Wicked Good Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirled Brownies


Awhile ago, I posted a chocolate chip pumpkin bread and discovered there were other gourmets, besides myself, who loved the combination of chocolate and pumpkin.  Halloween is just around the corner and wouldn't this be a wonderful treat for your little tricksters?

I remember my first brownie...as if it were yesterday.  My mother baked the most wonderful brownies and the aroma filled the house so much so that all us kids couldn't wait until they cooled so we could bite into this treat, washed down with a cold glass of milk.  I would stare at the shiny surface of the brownie, anticipating the gooey richness of chocolate as I took my first bite, closing my eyes as I let the chocolate confection melt in my mouth.  Of course, my brothers, gobbled theirs in two bites, grabbing for another one before I had even gotten done with my first bite.

In 1993, my best friend (and a co-baker), Eric, introduced me to his fabulous Pumpkin cheesecake that he had baked for our Thanksgiving dinner.  In addition to anything chocolate, cheesecake is my next favorite dessert and Eric's cheesecake did not disappoint!  This morning, I wanted to combine these two memories from people I love and admire and create a brownie that Kelly would have loved.  This has, undoubtedly been a hard month for me to get through, but memories keep me grounded, having family and friends to share with. 

When did you discover brownies and are you a purest with just chocolate, or do you love a combination?  I would love to hear about your memories while you make some new ones with this recipe!

Wicked Good Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirled Brownies

Preheat oven 350F-degrees.  Butter, then line and butter again, a 9"x13" baking pan.
 

Pumpkin Cheesecake:
1 pkg. (8oz) cream cheese
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1 large egg
1 T Pumpkin Pie spice
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
1 T all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt

In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese.  Gradually add the sugar and beat to combine.  Beat in the egg.  Add the remaining ingredients and beat to combine.  Set aside while you make the brownie layer.

Brownies:

4 large eggs
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1 T Vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

In the KitchenAid, using a paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar for 3-4 minutes until light in color.  Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or as I did in a double boiler.
Add the melted butter to the egg/sugar mixture, while the machine is running.  Stop the machine and use a spatula to scrape down sides.  Add the melted chocolate and beat thoroughly to combine.  Add the vanilla, salt and baking powder and beat again.  Add the flour, beating just to combine.  Pour mixture into the prepared pan.  Smooth to completely cover.

Pour or spoon the pumpkin cheesecake over the brownie layer.
Then, take a knife or a spatula and "swirl" the pumpkin cheesecake through the brownie mixture.
Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.  Turn oven off and with the door of the oven open, let the pan cool for 20 minutes in the oven.  Remove and let cool completely.
If you happen to have a springform rectangle pan, remove the sides to cool.  Refrigerate for 1 hour or more before cutting into squares.

Our oldest daughter, Erin, eats brownies using a knife and fork, but I just like to pick up the square, take a bite, and let it melt in my mouth.  However you eat your brownie, pour a cold glass of milk and Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Susan!!!! Do these ever look delicious!! I can't wait to try them. One of my favorite ways to bake brownies is in a muffin pan lined with cupcake papers. I mix up a brownie recipe, put about 2/3 in the cupcake liners and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. In the meantime, I unwrap Reese's white chocolate (miniatures). I push the Reese's cup down into the brownie and bake for about 2 more minutes. Let them cool completely. The kids love them! (And grown-ups too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, I love your Blog, ad would love love love to be around to smell the aromas from your kitchen! A little far from Australia though.
    Mel
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel~ If you're ever in Seattle, let me know and we'll bake together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! Susan, these are most definitely THE best brownies I have had! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan! These look delicious and are a must try. You have inspired me to return to my baking and I have been a busy girl. I've made many of your pumpkin recipes including Ari's Pumpkin Patch Muffins with Chocolate Chunks - YUMMY! So now I am on a pumpkin kick - I want to bake every recipe I see that includes pumpkin. This one will definitely be in the oven soon! :D
    Luv - m

    ReplyDelete