Boulangerie rather than your own kitchen. So, when I received an email from King Arthur Flour for a "No Knead Garlic-Cheese Flatbread, I wasted no time trying it out. Just reading the second step--"combine all of the ingredients except the cheese and garlic, and beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 60 seconds" tells you this is going to be easy.
I made it this afternoon to go along with spaghetti, but it would be great with anything. I actually froze eight pieces to have with a pot of chili the next time it rains! The cheese can be cheddar (which I did), Monterey Jack, or any flavored favorite of yours. It even gives you the option for the next day to cut it into 1/2-inch slices and bake them another 15-25 minutes for golden crunchy bread stick. How great is this? If you're having a soccer party tomorrow, this would be a great bread to accompany any entree.
No-Knead Garlic~Cheese Flatbread
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
3 T olive oil (plus additional for drizzling into the pan)
1 1/4 tsp. salt
3 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 pkg Instant Yeast
4 tsp. Pizza Dough Flavor (optional, but good)
FILLING & TOPPING
2 cups diced cheese--cheddar, Monterey Jack, flavored cheddar, or your favorite
4 to 8 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
Pizza Seasoning or your favorite dried herbs, to sprinkle on top
1) Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan, and drizzle 1 to 2 T olive oil in the bottom.
2) Combine all of the ingredients except the cheese and garlic, and beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 60 seconds. I used my KitchenAid and the paddle attachment.
3) Add the cheese and garlic, beating gently just to combine.
4) Scoop the sticky batter into the prepared pan, cover the pan, and let it rise at room temperature for 60 minutes, till it becomes puffy.
6) Sprinkle the dough with pizza seasoning or your favorite dried herbs, if desired.
8) Remove it from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
9) To make crunchy bread sticks: Cut day-old bread into 1/2" slices. Lay the slices on an ungreased baking sheet, and bake them in a preheated oven 350F-degrees to 400F-degrees oven till they're light golden brown and crunchy, 15 to 25 minutes. Keep your eye on them, as they brown quickly towards the end. Yield: 12 to 18 servings of bread; or about 50- 6 1/2" bread sticks. Enjoy!