Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sour Cream Poppy Seed Muffins with a Lemon Curd filling


I've never been a fan of the "typical" breakfasts of eggs and bacon.  I think I was traumatized by my father, on Saturday morning, cooking up a package of bacon in the iron skillet and when it was all crispy and removed, he'd crack eggs into an inch of bacon fat. I can hardly even type the memory. LOL! That's why for me, I chose peanut butter on toast, scones, doughnuts, and yes, muffins--warm and inviting from the oven.

This morning, with the rain falling and the temperatures barely reaching 60-degrees today (Hey! isn't this suppose to be almost summer!!), I decided to bake something that I could use the leftover lemon curd in and what better than a poppy seed muffin--they go together like Burns & Allen, Sonny & Cher, Rowan & Martin, Abbot & Costello...am I dating myself : -D!  I liked the idea of having a surprise center and what better than the tartness of the lemon curd to pair with the moist poppy seeded muffin?

Poppy seeds are an oilseed harvested for thousands of years from the opium poppy.  They have been used in baking by civilizations from all over the world.  In North America, we use them as a spice and decoration on bagels, buns and crackers, but in Europe you'll also see poppy seeds ground, mixed with butter, milk and sugar and used as fillings in yeast breads, cakes, and cookies.  For the muffins I made this morning, the poppy seeds are added to the batter, as is, and gives a subtle crunch as you bite into it.

Sour Cream Poppy Seed Muffins with a Lemon Curd Filling
2 1/2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. lemon extract
1/4 cup poppy seeds

1 cup lemon curd
Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2-3 T hot water
1/2 tsp. Vanilla paste

Preheat oven to 400F-degrees.  Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or spray with a nonstick baking spray.  Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients and mix with a dough whisk or spatula.  

Make a "well" in the center of the dry ingredients and add the eggs and sour cream.  Stir together, then, add the melted butter, the lemon extract and poppy seeds.  Stir until combined, but be careful not to over mix--the batter will be thick.
Use a scoop to divide the batter amongst the 12-cups.
Bake in the preheated oven 5 minutes, then, lower the temperature (without opening the oven door!) to 375F-degrees and continue baking for 15 minutes.
I've found that the "burst" of a hot oven gives my muffins a better rise.
While the muffins are cooling, slightly, fill a pastry bag, fitted with a #250 tip, with the prepared lemon curd.  

Fill the muffins by poking the tip into the center of the muffin and pipe in the curd.  
Mix up the glaze and spread the tops with about one teaspoon.
Serve the muffins warm and if your weather is like ours today, I also made a cup of cocoa to sip.

To me, these muffins are much more memorable than the usual bacon and eggs for breakfast. And, I know my mother would have preferred the lemon curd addition--sorry Dad. Enjoy!

 








3 comments:

  1. Oh that isn't even fair. I will be making those this weekend and since my husband doesn't like lemon things, I will also be eating them all. Yumm! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take these over bacon and eggs any day! They look delicious. My Mom cooked Dad two over easy eggs every day in a fry pan full of bacon grease. He had his first heart attack at age 40. His breakfast habits quickly changed!

    ReplyDelete