Friday, March 2, 2012

Orange-Orange glazed Genoise with Fresh Strawberries


One of the first cakes I made in cooking school was a Genoise--an Italian sponge cake named after the city of Genoa.  It's a very popular choice for wedding cakes when it's usually is soaked in flavored syrups or spread with fruit fillings before the buttercream is applied.

I thought this simple cake would be perfect with the beautiful strawberries I bought at the market as dessert.  See, we've had a day of rainy grey skies and a bit of Spring, even if it's in my baking would help me feel better.  I'm going on two weeks with this cold and the "dose" of citrus in this cake is just what my mother would have ordered!

There are different recipes for Genoise; some separate the eggs to add lightness and are the only fat, others add melted butter.  The key is that it's an easy cake to make and a wonderful base for fresh fruit or a special occasion...like a wedding.

Orange Genoise with Fresh Strawberries
4 oz. unsalted butter, melted and cooled (included is the amount you will use for buttering the pan)
2 large eggs
grated zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I use Baker's Sugar which is much finer, like Castor)
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 325F-degrees.  Brush melted butter on an 8-inch x 2-inch high baking pan.  Line with a parchment round in the bottom and brush with more melted butter.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, using a hand held mixer or in a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat the eggs, grated orange zest and both sugars until thick and lemony in color--about 5 minutes.  

Fold in the cooled melted butter and stir completely.
Sift the flour and baking powder over the batter and fold in.  

Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes.  The top will have a crust (like brownies do) so you shouldn't press down to test for doneness, but rather use a skewer--that should come out clean.

Cool 5 minutes than remove from pan onto serving platter.  Remove parchment round.  Let cool
completely before drizzling the orange glaze over the top.
Orange Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 to 3 T fresh orange juice (or enough to make a drizzle)
Drizzle glaze over cake.
   

A dreary evening to a rainy day, but somehow it seems a little brighter knowing I'll have a taste of sunshine for dessert.  Enjoy!
  


4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love these kinds of cakes! Italian AND citrus...Wow! Is there any left? I'll bring my coffee this morning...Where did you go to cooking school? That is a little pipe dream of mine when I retire in 15 yrs: a year in Italy with a month or two at a cooking school. I should be a proper Italian by then! Hope you get over your cold very soon, my friend. LV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to the CIA for Pastry Arts. Great experience, but I still think my Mom was the best cook in the world:-D

      Delete
  2. That sponge cake sounds so yummy–I will have to try it out! It looks like you have a beautiful view from your deck, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a yummy scrummy cake. Thank you so much for the recipe. I am your newest member and new to blogging. Will certainly call in again and I would love you to visit me sometime.

    ReplyDelete