Tuesday, July 9, 2013

French Toast Scones

In addition to going through all the junk treasures I've accumulated over the last twelve years, cleaning out the refrigerators/freezers is part of my chores today too.  You might remember I made a recipe in March, Maple Sugar Bars, using Grade B maple syrup, that were very, very good. I still had the bottle in the refrigerator, but not enough to make them again...but maybe something else.
I'm not really a breakfast-kind-of-person, but I do love scones and that was my focus today to create.  I thought, "why not bake a scone that would remind someone of eating French Toast?"  Why not, indeed!

When I do make French Toast, I like to use, almost stale, cinnamon swirl raisin bread, Challah, or brioche dipped into a rich egg/cream mixture, speckled with additional ground cinnamon.  We always had French Toast at my mom's when the bread was getting stale and especially homemade bread that didn't have any preservatives in it!  These scones remind me of those days, only I can pick them up without the fear of syrup dripping down on me:-D

French Toast Scones
4 1/3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
2 T baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, grated

In a 2-cup liquid measure add:
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1/4 cup heavy cream
Maple syrup (enough to come up to the 1-cup line)
Milk (enough to bring the liquid measure up to 1 3/4 cups)

Filling:
2 T softened unsalted butter
1/4 cup firmly packed, light brown sugar
1 T ground cinnamon

Maple Frosting:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 T softened butter
1/4 cup Grade B maple syrup

Preheat oven to 375F-degrees.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, mix the dry ingredients.  Add the butter and mix, just until incorporated.

While the mixer is running, slowly add the 1 3/4 cups of liquid.  Stop the mixer when the dough comes together (don't over mix!)
Turn the shaggy dough out onto a lightly floured bread board and knead just until smooth.  Roll dough out to a 12" x 16" rectangle.
 Spread the dough with the 2 tablespoons of softened butter.  
Sprinkle the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture over the butter and roll up the dough, beginning with the edge further from you.  Slice the roll in half, then into quarters, then thirds to get 12 scones.
Press the scones down slightly and brush with an egg wash (1 large egg + 1T milk) 
Bake in the preheated over for 18 minutes.  Remove and allow to cool while you mix up the Maple Frosting. 
The frosting should be thick enough to hold its shape.

Spread the still warm scones with about 1 tablespoon of frosting.  
Golden layers of cinnamon, with a maple syrup taste!

Eat while warm and then on to a day's work...for me it's packing. Enjoy!
 

14 comments:

  1. You're killing me here, Susan! These look so good and I can just imagine how wonderful your kitchen smells...I need to make these or some of your other variants. So. Good. Lv, me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does smell good and hit the spot to give me enough energy to tackle the laundry room and start on the garage...ugh!! I'm taking the rest to my favorite dental office, but if you visit me in North Carolina, we'll bake some up, XOXO

      Delete
    2. I'll start making my NC vacation plans now! ;)

      Delete
  2. THis makes me want to bake, even though it's a bazillion degrees here today with 1,000,000% humidity. ;) These look GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I hadn't made chocolate chip cookie bars, I'd be making these today! My mouth is watering! Happy packing! ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! just might have to try this recipe. I do like cinnamon so I would most likely use more of that than the brown sugar. if I lived closer I would help you pack.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow...looks and sounds amazingly delicious. How you bake with all that is going on in your corner! You're Wonder Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to see you share this at Tea In The Garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slow on the uptake...I didn't realize you have a new blog and I thought you just hadn't been posting. All fix and I'm happy to be included, XOXO

      Delete
  7. Oh, Susan, those look divine. You know what? I just attended a lecture at the library about food blogs. A LOT of people who write food blogs end up publishing cookbooks.

    You should do that, Susan. You should have your own cookbook with a photo of these scones on the COVER! Yeah. With Vermont maple syrup showing . Seriously, your cookbook would rock. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. A brilliant idea, Susan. They are butter, cinnamony and gorgeous with maple glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hubby would love these! I need to bake him something good for all of the hard work he's been doing around the house! Thanks for the recipe and happy packing, Sis! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I saw this post, I almost could not believe it! This looks incredibly yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We always had French Toast at my mom's when the bread was getting stale and especially homemade bread that didn't have any preservatives in it .Therefor this information is very helpfull for me and if you want more knowledge about this topic then visit how to make fried french toast

    ReplyDelete