Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Strawberry~Lemon Cream Bar

It's officially summer and all the fresh fruits abound; strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and in a week, peaches.  I preserved 24 jars of strawberry jam a few weeks ago and when I spied this recipe in The Baking Sheet, I knew I would have to try it.
I love jam bars and it was for sure one of Kelly's favorite.  I've made her recipe several times, but this one intrigued me with the addition of a "cream" center and tartness of the lemon.

My Grandpa Frank grew strawberries, so we always had fresh ones to pick when I was growing up, but when the patch was gone my mom and I would pick at a farm nearby to ensure we'd have jars of jam for the winter.  I love to pick fresh fruit and have found a farm here to "feed my addiction!" 

Strawberry~Lemon Cream Bars
Crust:
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup dried strawberry bits, optional
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Grease a 9"-square pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, except the butter and mix well.  Pour the melted butter over and mix until distributed evenly.  Press half of the mixture into the prepared pan firmly and evenly.
Filling:
1-14oz can sweetened condensed milk
Zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup strawberry jam
2 T Pie Filling Enhancer

Whisk together the ingredients until slightly thickened.  Pour the filling over the crust and smooth with a spoon.  
Sprinkle the remaining half of the oat mixture over the filling, pressing down lightly.  
 Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown.  Remove from the oven and cool completely in the pan.  Run a table knife along the edges of the pan and use the edges of the parchment to remove it from the pan (I used my spring form pan).  Cut the bars into 2" x 2" bars.  Yields 16 bars.

It's a lazy day...oh, I have things to do, but I chose to bake after a marathon day of sewing yesterday. I even tuckered out Rosie!
Enjoy summer days!
 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. Hi Susan! These certainly sound good! Did you like the recipe? This is the first photo I have seen of Rose! She is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like the recipe and took a couple of bags to the guys working on our house--they loved them too! Rosie is a sweetie who follows me everywhere.

      Delete
  2. looks delicious . love anything with strawberries & lemon.
    rosie is adorable ~ such a cute capture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cat! These bars looks so interesting and healthy! Now that I have the new range, I need to make some bars. Love the strawberry/lemon combo, too. lv, me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strawberry and lemon are such great summer flavors–these bars sound so good! I love to pick fresh fruit, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good...had never heard of pie filling enhancer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could substitute cornstarch with some ascorbic acid.

      Delete
  6. That strawberry jam with condensed milk filling sounds really intriguing. The nutty oaty crust would be great for cheesecake too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosie is a doll and this does sound very good! Hope you are having a good June! I can't believe it's almost over. The summer is flying by!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! no chocolate!!!! you know me anything with lemon and I'm there but you added strawberries so that makes it twice as good!
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy, this sounds delish. "Hi Rosie, you doll"
    Susan...I was so surprised to receive such a gorgeous gift from you today. My goodness, you are so kind and thoughtful. I love the apron and will model it soon. It's +30C today so no baking for me. What a delightful gift. Thank you, thank you. It will hang in my kitchen. Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete