Sunday, July 20, 2014

Peaches...and Kittens!

I admit it...I've become my mother!  This week, with just a few weeks from our last big move, I was hit with kittens dropped in the yard of our rental home--three little kittens, but, no mittens:-D  My first reaction was to call every "no-kill" shelter to drop these little guys off.  Lucky for these little kittens, no one answered or they had a recording that they were full.  The next step was to take them to our Vet and have them checked out.  They're clean of fleas, no worms, and actually have had their first distemper immunization.  However, they remain in the one of the bathrooms, away from our 10 year old Ragdoll, Rosie, who looks at me with those big blue eyes as if saying, "what the heck is this!"

Why I say I've become my mother is because as kids, we brought home every animal under the sun and she never said no.  There were numerous cats, dogs, a pair of flying squirrels, a chipmunk, fish, baby Mockingbirds that had fallen out of their nest, guinea pig and hamsters. Realistically, I know going from one cat to now four is crazy, but when your grandchildren say with excitement..."Mimi, you have to keep them!"  Well, there's my mother in me saying, "okay."
Hubby with Harper (the buff one), ZuZu (the tortoise shell) and Clara (the "Russian Blue" gray)

To relieve the stress, I bought a bushel of peaches and made 14 jars of peach jam and this morning made Brown Butter Waffles with a Peach compote.  Our new home is going to be filled with grandchildren and apparently a lot of pets...which is what a home should be:-D




Brown Butter Waffles with Peach Compote
Waffles:
2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 T granulated sugar
2 T finely-ground cornmeal
2 large eggs
4 T (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and browned
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups buttermilk (you can make your own by adding 1 T apple cider vinegar to milk and let stand until curdled)
In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together, then add the eggs and buttermilk and stir thoroughly.  Finally, fold in the slightly cooled brown butter.

Heat a waffle iron up and brush with some vegetable oil for the first time; after that, you should have to add any more oil.
Bake the waffles until golden brown.  Dab a pat of butter, add a little bit of warm maple syrup and a spoonful of peach compote for a delicious Sunday breakfast.

Peach Compote:
4 to 5 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
In a small sauce pan, add the sliced peaches.  Next, mix 1/3 cup of granulated sugar with 1tsp. cornstarch.  Add to the peaches and stir  gently.  Place over low heat, covered and cook until bubbly.  Remove the lid and keep on low heat until ready to serve with your waffles.  These peaches would also be good on ice cream!
This move is definitely going to be interesting.  Our bamboo floors have still not gone in, so we may be living in the basement on the cork floors with our new furry friends! Enjoy! 


15 comments:

  1. Wow you sure will have your hands full. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say you have the most interesting way of relieving stress!!!! The peach jam and compote look absolutely delicious and I love the cute little waffles! Love you too, Sis, you are the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sure are cute! And I love this recipe! Since I can't eat sugar....this is a recipe I could try. And I can slice peaches on top! YAY! Thanks for the ideas. Sounds good for what we call 'breakfast supper'! Sweet hugs Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw..bless your heart, Susan. They are safe and sound in your care now. I know it is a lot to take on and I hope they return the love and then some. Your grands will have so much fun with them. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Anything with peaches is fine with me. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am such a sucker for kitties! These three are adorable! Oh and the peach compote looks so good.
    hugs and good luck on the move!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those kittens are some kind of blessed! My personal opinion is that two cats are better than one, preferably from the same litter and that a home is not a home without a cat upon the hearth. (Hope that the additional kitty will be even further blessing.)

    May those floors get placed sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Susan you are such a good hearted person! and Chuck on the floor with them...so sweet! I want to make some of that peach compote. Mmmmmm sounds so good.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, now the complete story! These little kittens are so, so lucky to have found you and Chuck. That little grey one, Clara...Wow. And, a little girl, too...Lovely peach jam, my friend! I made a bunch last year, even chipotle and bourbon. I have given those away and haven't had time to even try them. You are amazing! Lv, me

    ReplyDelete
  9. The peach compote with waffles sound wonderful! And congratulations on your new 3 little kittens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been busy in the garden. I finally have time to catch up and my have you been busy! Love the kittens. The peach compote sounds grand. Hope everything goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The good lord must have know where these darling kittens needed to land...in Susan's heart. Bless you for taking them in and providing a loving home for them! The names are perfect.....I just know your new home is going to be a very special place of love! And oh, the peach compote...heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  12. o 3 kittens! Congratulations, Susan.
    Peaches are sweet and juicy right now and I just can't get enough of them. The waffles with peach compote look mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That Peach Compote looks wonderful! I can't wait for retirement time to can again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're a good woman!! If it makes you feel any better, I am now up to seven cats, and am about to take on two more barn cats.

    ReplyDelete