Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Toasted Almond Biscotti

Biscotti, meaning "twice-baked" is one of my favorite cookies to make. The elongated treats are made crunchy by first baking in a loaf, then, slicing in 1/2-inch lengths and baked again.  For all you coffee drinkers...this is a good one for dunking!

My mother never made these cookies, but she would have loved them.  Both Mom and Dad were BIG coffee drinkers; I remember him making coffee, every morning, in a 40-cup urn and they would drink it all day long!  I inherited that 40-cup urn for catering when they toned down their habit to a Mr. Coffee in the 80s:-D  You would think I would also be a coffee drinker, but, no--I'm the only one in eight who has never drank coffee, but I still like these cookies.

The recipe comes from American Test Kitchen which I try to watch every Sunday afternoon on our local PBS station.  I had a chance to meet Christopher Kimball when he came to Seattle a few years ago and have always been impressed by their careful testing of every recipe.  I will say, I did change the method to use my Kitchen Aid, rather than a food processor that they called for.  No particular reason except I think it's easier to clean up.

Toasted Almond Biscotti
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
4 T (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 1/4 cups whole almonds, toasted lightly
1 3/4 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt*

Preheat oven to 325F-degrees.  Place almonds on a baking sheet and toast for approximately 7 minutes.  In a food processor, coarsely chop 1 cup of almonds and set aside.  Place the 1/4 cup of almonds in the processor and grind finely. (I used my small Cuisinart to do this.)
*I also used roasted, lightly salted almonds, so I did not add the 1/2 tsp. salt.  If you use a raw almond, you will want to add the salt.

Next, in the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the two eggs until light in color, about 3 minutes.  While the mixer is running, gradually add the sugar and beat an additional 1-2 minutes after it's been all added.
The trick to good Biscotti, that I learned in pastry school, is not to over mix the flour.  So, I sifted the flour and baking powder (also salt, if your nuts were not salted) together and removed the bowl from  the stand to fold it in.  Add the chopped and ground almonds and stir to combine.

On the bottom side of parchment paper, draw two rectangles 3" x 8" and place it on a baking sheet.
Divide the dough between these rectangles and spray a rubber spatula with a baking spray, lightly, to smooth the dough. Make sure you have about 4-inches between the two rectangles to account for spreading.
Bake in the preheated oven 25 to 30 minutes.  The Biscotti will rise and the tops will "crack" slightly.
Remove from the oven and cool 20 to 30 minutes.  Transfer the cookie "loaf" including the parchment to a large cutting board.  Use a serrated knife to slice--slightly diagonal--1/2" wide.


Place the biscotti back into the oven and bake again for 25 to 30 minutes.  I rotated the two pans after 15 minutes to get an even browning.
These lovely treats are going to my family for Thanksgiving--a time for giving. Enjoy! 

10 comments:

  1. That really is making my mouth water. I wonder how much sugar I could cut or if their is a recipe with very little sugar. I can't eat sugar and I sure miss treats like this! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try using honey which is sweeter than sugar and you'd only have to use half as much. XOXO

      Delete
  2. These Italian classic cookies are my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my these look amazing! I am a lover of my one cup of French Roast coffee every morning!
    hugs
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Biscotti is a favorite of mine but I have never made them! These look really good and would go wonderfully with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Susan!!!!!! I've never made biscotti but I do like them. they are great to dunk in tea.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great biscotti flavor, Susan–perfect with a hot cup of coffee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love a good cup of coffee, but biscotti is not a favorite. do you dip yours in tea or hot cocoa? I found your coffee discussion interesting. My daughter-in-law does not care for coffee and revealed last night that the smell of coffee also is abhorrent to her. Poor girl...she must suffer terribly in our family of coffee drinkers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those biscotti look perfect! I never drink coffee either, probably because my British parents brought me up drinking tea. I love the smell of coffee but can't stand that taste!

    ReplyDelete