Monday, July 13, 2015

Fruit & Nut Pistachio~Zucchini Bread

I remember very well helping my grandfather plant the vegetable garden that he would share with us.  In fact, he once told me, "you're the only one, other than me, that I will allow to use the rototiller."  Yes, I loved gardening even then, but moreover, he said, "it's because you can till a straight line!"

The first time I planted zucchini I learned it was a different technique; making mounds that I would poke my finger in, about 1-inch, and place 3-4 seeds in each one.  As my grandfather taught me, it was "insurance" that each mound had a plant come up. However, emotionally it was very hard to pull 2 or 3 plants out of the mound and toss them when they all came up!

Zucchini (or as it's known in Europe, Courgette) is a summer squash, usually dark or light green, although there is also a hybrid golden yellow variety.  Most people think of squash as a vegetable, but it is indeed a fruit, which has both female (the blossom) and male (where the petiole meets the stem) in the leaf axis.  The plants can be abundant with fruit and most of us wonder how many dishes we can make.  It's low in calories and has useful amounts of foliate, potassium and Vitamin A.    I think I've come up with some pretty good recipes: breads, pickles, cakes, muffins, breaded, soups...etc!  I once sent my sister a pile of recipes when she found she was knee-deep in zucchini from the garden:-)

Today, I made a lovely bread and pumped up the "green" with Pistachio Flour and finely chopped pistachios.
Pistachios are an excellent source of healthy fats, fiber and iron and particularly replacing some of the all-purpose flour with this nut flour, cuts down on the carbohydrates we are all trying to watch.  I also added some dried fruits to make this a wholesome bread to start the day or have as a snack with your afternoon tea or coffee.

Fruit & Nut Pistachio~Zucchini Bread
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable (or canola) oil
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 T Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. Almond extract
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
2 medium zucchinis, grated

1 cup Pistachio flour
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
1 cup of dried fruit (I used 1/2 cup chopped dates and 1/2 cup Peach Jammy Bits ) 

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Spray two loaf pans (9" x 4") with cooking spray or greased with shortening.

In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter, oil, and sugar together.  While the mixer is running on low, add the eggs, one at a time.  Turn mixer speed up to medium and continue to mix until fluffy.
Add the extracts and mix once more.  Remove the bowl from the stand and add the dry ingredients, dried fruit, chopped nuts, and sour cream.  Stir with a rubber spatula to combine everything.
Divide the batter between the two loaf pans.  Place in the preheated oven and bake for 55-60 minutes or until tester comes out cleanly.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool 7-10 minutes before turning them out onto a cutting board.
A lovely slice of bread was well worth waiting for to start the day.  
This is a healthy recipe to add to your collection of zucchini recipes--check out some of my past recipes on the blog.  Enjoy!



7 comments:

  1. Lovely bread, Susan. I didn't know zucchini was a fruit--learn something new every day! xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. wish I had saw this recipe before I just made stuffed zuccini with a big one we got out of our little garden. will have to wait a couple of weeks for more zuccini before I can try this recipe. thanks!
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fabulous Susan! I think I'll bake a couple loaves to take with us to the beach....they adore Pistachio's...thank you love for always bringing us such wonderful baking inspiration! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love zucchini and didn't even think about it being a fruit instead of a veggie! This bread, like all your recipes, looks so good!!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zucchini is so versatile!! I love your twist on the bread recipe! You should post your recipe of the Mock Crab Cakes using grated zucchini and Old Bay Seasoning---we love it! And now that I have my "Spiralizer" we love zucchini spaghetti!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't know zucchini is a fruit!! Your bread looks fabulous, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy. I never used to like Pistachio's but have learned to love them over the years. Even Pistachio Ice cream :-)

    ReplyDelete