Thursday, October 15, 2015

Shenandoah Apple Pie Cake

I spent the weekend with my Sis at her lovely home that overlooks the Blue Ridge Mountains; cherished times antiquing, walking an arts & craft show, and apple picking at Carter Mountain Orchard.
View of the Blue Ridge Mountains from my Sister's back deck!
The view from Carter Mountain Orchard

Jonagold's were there for the picking!
I came home with bags of apples, that I've already turned into sauce to prepare apple butter today, but I saved out a couple to make a quick cake for my hubby last night.  The weather was perfect even though the leaves aren't quite as brilliant, but it's still a little early.
 Apple trees are deciduous and although there are several regions in our country where apple production is large, this fruit originates in Central Asia, where they have been grown for thousands of years.  Reverend William Braxton brought them to Boston in the 17th century and when we lived in Sudbury, we would pick apples in Bolton...known as the apple capital of Massachusetts.  It's become a ritual in our family; our daughter Erin took her family this past weekend to an orchard.  It's a great adventure and some even have corn mazes, which are really fun.

Apple Pie Cake
4 T (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. Apple Pie Spice*
1/8 tsp. ground Cardamon
2 cups chopped apples
1/2 cup toasted pecans

*Or mix 1 tsp of ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. ground cloves, 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. ginger.
 Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Butter a pie dish and set aside.  
In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together.  Add the egg and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed with a rubber spatula.   Add the vanilla extract and mix again.

Add the dry ingredients and mix on low just to combine.  Don't worry the batter is stiff.  Add the apples and pecans and mix again.  Spread batter into the prepared pie dish.  Smooth top and bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly.
You could glaze this cake, but it was delicious with just a dusting of confectioners' sugar (icing sugar).  Enjoy! 

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, and delicious looking recipe,

    thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better than a beautiful view and time with my sister--I'm truly blessed to have her in my life.

      Delete
  2. That's a stunning view! The apple cake looks splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Blue Ridge Mtns are gorgeous and I love to go apple picking in the fall up there! The cake sounds so good. Glad you got some sister time!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Susan, I know Carter Mountain! Did you go to Monticello? It's just up the mountain from Carter's Orchard. Also the Michie Tavern is a wonderful place to eat. We love to pick apples also--it's a great family tradition. Your cake looks wonderful. So glad you got to spend time with your sister--those times can't be beat! xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful country; didn't go to Monticello on this trip, but have been there. We have to try Michie Tavern next time.

      Delete
  5. I love anything made with apples. This recipe looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We really did have a wonderful long weekend!! Our sister time was ever so good and memorable. We are enjoying the applesauce and I think with some of the apples I have left, I will make this delicious cake. Love the pictures! We are so blessed to have that beautiful view of the Blue Ridge. Temps will be around 30 degrees Saturday and Sunday night so colors should really peak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun and memories...I WILL finish my cross stitch piece, I promise!

      Delete
  7. This is my kind of weekend! Your pie cake looks fabulous! Time to pin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful view!!!!! and apple picking to boot! then an apple cake!!! sounds like a great weekend to me! I'm in!
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Susan, that sounds so divine. I wish I were skinny, skinny, skinny so I could eat all the desserts I want! Ha! I'd start with all of yours. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmm...bet that made the house smell heavenly. Your sister lives in beautiful country. What fun to visit and have time together to do fun things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just "found" your blog...I too, have a sister who lives in the Shendandoah Valley! It's a beautiful place! This recipe looks delicious, and since "I don't do pie crusts", it looks especially appealing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the perfect recipe for me....I was looking for something easy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it a cake? Is it a pie? Who cares, it's all delcious! :)

    ReplyDelete