Monday, June 27, 2016

Easy Homemade Chocolate Pudding

My mom made the best puddings; vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch, rice, and tapioca, but I love the chocolate pudding the best.  She seemed to "whip" these puddings up with little effort, but the reward was so gratifying for dessert!

As you may have figured out, I'm a big proponent of baking (and cooking) from scratch.  I want to know exactly what ingredients are in the food I'm feeding my family.  For this pudding, there are six...yes, 6 ingredients, however, here's what's in a box of Jell-O Chocolate Pudding:

Sugar, Modified Food Starch, Cocoa Processed with Alkali,
Disodium Phosphate (for thickening), Contains Less Than 2% of
Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate
(for thickening), Mono and Diglycerides (prevent foaming), Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1, 
Artificial Color, BHA (Preservative)

Are you as mortified as I am?  It isn't "rocket science" to make pudding and know you're not filling your family with ingredients you can hardly pronounce.

Old Fashion Chocolate Pudding
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar (icing sugar)
3 T cornstarch (cornflour)
3 cups milk (whole or 2%)
1/8 tsp. salt
6 oz. Bittersweet chocolate--I used  Ghiardelli 60% Cacao 4 oz. bars (1 1/2 bars)
1 tsp. vanilla

Heavy Cream for topping!

In a medium sauce pan, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, cornstarch, and salt.  Place on medium heat and slowly add the milk, whisking well to prevent lumps.
Lower the heat slightly so the mixture does not boil, but keep stirring.  When the mixture is hot, add the chocolate and change to a rubber spatula.  Heat on low/medium until thicken, about 10-15 minutes.  Remove and add the vanilla.  Stir to combine.  The pudding will thicken further as it cools.  
Ladle into small bowls (about 1/2 to 2/3 cup per person) and allow to cool at room temperature about 10 minutes.  To prevent a "skim" from forming, cut plastic wrap to cover the pudding, pressing the wrap directly onto the pudding surface.  Refrigerate 2-4 hours before serving.


I love a dollop of whipped cream on my pudding.  Whisk (or beat with a hand mixer) 1 cup heavy cream with 2 T confectioners' sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract. 

Now, doesn't that make you feel better that you know exactly what went into this dessert? Enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. That looks so delicious! Who needs the storebought pudding mix??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ingredients in the store bought is scary! This was delicious.

      Delete
  2. I bet this is creamy and good! Looks scrumptious! The only kind of pudding I have ever made from scratch is tapioca. Maybe I'll branch out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must not only taste better but of course be much better for you. I love pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so creamy. My Mom used to make the best Rice pudding and a bread pudding that had fruit cocktail in it. So moist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both of them too--a great way to use up leftovers!

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, yes! I have not seen a pudding recipe like this so of course, I am going to follow your lead for this pudding! Cannot wait! You are just my heroine in the kitchen!!! Thank you love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet. I just want people to know it's easy to bake from scratch and not have the worries of what some of these companies are putting in their products. Can you imagine BPA!!

      Delete
  6. It would make me feel much better if I had some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a fabulous recipe--this will be our 4th of July treat....thank you hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. Oh and of course, I'll be sporting the apron I won!! lol hugs Julierose;--)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Grandmother taught me to make home made chocolate pudding and it was always so wonderful for a pie. And the dark chocolate we get now works well for the recipe. Yum! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for writing a post that brought back a lot of memories of my childhood. My mother used to make homemade chocolate pudding for us when we were little and we absolutely loved it :) good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good memories for me too and I'm sad that a lot of kids today don't have that.

      Delete
  11. It's sad to think that most kids today never get anything but instant chocolate pudding. What a poor substitute for something as luscious as your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, it's just as easy. I shudder to think the preservatives that are in foods. Lower that risk is always a good thing!

      Delete
  12. I have NEVER made pudding from scratch. I need to try this!!

    ReplyDelete