Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Valentine's Chocolate Chip Shortbread

Happy St. Valentine's Day!  Of all the stories that circulate about this day, the one I like is in connection to St. Valentine of Rome, who was imprisoned for marrying soldiers forbidden to marry and ministering to Christians, who were persecuted under the Roman Empire.  The story goes, while imprisoned, it is said he healed the daughter of his jailer, Asterius and before his execution, he signed a letter to her, "Your Valentine" as a farewell.  That's conviction!

Usually, I make sugar cookies and send them to my family, but this year, I have a trip to the UK in a few days for work and I've been knee deep die cutting, so a quick shortbread is what I came up with.  Tweaking my recipe for shortbread, this one proved to be quite good...and easy to make.

Valentine's Chocolate Chip Shortbread

2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup Confectioners' sugar (icing sugar)
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 T vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 bag Nestle's Mini Semisweet Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 375F-degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together thoroughly, about 5 minutes.  This makes sure the crystals of the brown sugar dissolve into the "fat" of the butter.  As you will notice, there is no leavening or eggs used in this recipe.

Add the vanilla extract and cream to combine.  Add the flour and with the mixer on low (so you won't shoot flour out!).  When almost mixed, add the mini chips and beat to combine.

To form the hearts...I used a heart cookie cutter (about a 3-inch size, but your choice).  Using about a "ping-pong" size of dough, press into the mold.
Life the cookie cutter and repeat to fill the sheet.  These won't spread, but make sure they aren't touching.  Bake in the preheated oven about 9 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a baking rack to cool completely.
They hold their heart shape and are crispy when cool.  You can leave them plain or get creative with a drizzle of chocolate over the hearts, write a message, or dust with confectioners' sugar.  I'll let you decide. Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day to you....love the fabric on your February apron. This is my kind of cookie (few ingredients)and shortbread is also a favorite. Will give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story about St Valentine, Susan. I had not heard that before. Your shortbread cookies look pretty and I'm sure are tasty. Have a wonderful trip to the UK! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a business trip, but it will be nice to get away and see some happy faces!

      Delete
  3. Happy Saint Valentine's Day Susan. I could eat a plate of your chocolate chip shortbread right now! Enjoy your trip to the UK and have lots of fun
    ~~~Waving~~~Deb in Wales xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be in Birmingham on the 17th-21st for work...is that close to you!

      Delete
  4. Happy Valentine's Day to you too, Susan. These heart shaped cookies are divine and a perfect treat for the loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Valentines Day friend, your shortbread cookies look delicious and I love your heart shaped mold, you have the neatest things for baking! I made your Chocolate Eclairs today for my hubby, they turned out beautifully! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Have a good trip to the UK.
    Cheryl XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think anything baked in a heart shape is fabulous!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...I do love shortbread. Have a fun trip to the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yumminess, Susan! I'll bet that your family was thrilled with these shortbread hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm... I need to make those for my sweetie sometime!

    ReplyDelete