Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Happy Birthday Cookies

Kelly's little boy will turn 9 years old next week; where did the time go?  He's getting so big, but I remember this photo, taken of Kelly and him for a article Kelly wrote for the Mount Holyoke literary magazine when he was just over a year old.

The spitting image of his mama and he definitely has her good heart and concern for others, nurtured by his dad, new mother and little brother.

He also has a wonderful sense of humor and voracious love of reading...like his mom.
He's visiting in Vermont and his dad shared with us a climb they did.  Getting so tall and very grown-up!
We won't get a chance to see him until August, but I wanted to bake him up something sweet just to let him know we're thinking of him.  Happy Birthday Cookies are everything a kid will love; simple but oh so tasty.

Happy Birthday Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 T "Birthday Cake" flavoring
2 3/4 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup mini white chocolate chips
3/4 cup rainbow sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together thoroughly.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl, if needed, with a rubber spatula.  Add the eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition.  Add the vanilla and Birthday Cake flavoring.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium/low just until combined.  Use a #20 Scoop to portion out the cookies.
Use your hand to slightly flatten the dough.  Bake in the preheat oven for 12 minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Happy Birthday Cookies are just fun and I know our grandson will love them; his mama would!  Enjoy!



19 comments:

  1. They look great. My grandsons do love their cookies. I happen to know that Vermont had a fabulous weather day today so perfect for any adventure your grandson was up to! Hope that he has some Cabot Cheese, gets to visit the King Arthur outlet store to find you a present 😉, and finds a Ben and Jerry's. I love Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the King Arthur outlet store! I've promised to take him there one day!

      Delete
  2. What sweet pictures. Your daughter was beautiful. So glad that you are still involved in your grandson's life. I know you are looking forward to their visit in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little more difficult to get to see him, but when we do, we sure cram a lot in that visit.!

      Delete
  3. Your grandson is going to love his birthday cookies! I do believe the grands grow up too fast. Our's will be visiting next week and have already said they want to make chocolate chip cookies. Vermont is a great place to enjoy in the summer. XOXO ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how fast the time goes by; boys love their cookies!!

      Delete
  4. Those cookies are right up my alley! Your grandson is a handsome fellow. I hope you get to see him soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right up mine too! The granddaughters come for 3 weeks in July, then Ari in August. It's going to be a busy Grammy-Summer!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful grandchild he is! Kelly would be so proud of him. I know he'll love his special cookies ~ every time I see bakes with sprinkles I think Happy Food! ~~~Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Sprinkles just add that festive touch and I know grands love them. I wish Kelly could see how he's growing up, as impossible as that is, but I still wish:-)

      Delete
  6. He is now a big handsome boy! Kelly would be very proud of him, Susan. Those cookies with rainbow sprinkles are just perfect for the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does like cookies! Can't wait for his visit in August; the granddaughters are here in July for 3 weeks!!

      Delete
  7. Happy 9th birthday to such an adorable young man...love the sprinkle cookies Susan....I know he loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy. I know you realize the way to their hearts is through their tummies!

      Delete
  8. Such a handsome boy! Nine, wow, time flies! Hugs to you Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like how fast Tiger is growing up...can you believe it? We're not getting any older, but they are:-D

      Delete
  9. What a precious picture of your daughter and grandson. So happy you still are a part of his life. The cookies look delicious!

    I am missing my baking, trying to keep the sweets out of the house as much as possible with my husband being sick. I did make a rhubarb and a strawberry pie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love that picture of Kelly and your grandson, Susan. I know you miss her every, single day, but thankfully, you have a part of her in your dear grandson. I'm sure that he will love those cookies, then and visiting you in August. Baking keeps us close to our loved ones, doesn't it? May you have a happy week, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Find and save ideas about Happy birthday cookie on Pinterest.
    ตารางคะแนนพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete