Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Light Rye Bread

There's nothing better on a cool Autumn day than homemade bread.  Yesterday, I made one of my hubby's favorite loaves--Rye Bread.  The recipe was on the back of Light Rye Blend that I just purchased from King Arthur Flour and it turned out perfect.  Very easy to make and bake and with cool evenings coming up, this proved to be one I'd make over and over again.

Light Rye Bread

2 cups Ryle Flour Blend
1 3/4 cup King Arthur All-purpose flour
2 T potato flour or 3 T instant potato flakes
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
2 tsp. instant yeast
2 tsp. salt
1 T caraway seeds, optional
2 T vegetable oil (or butter)
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water

In a stand mixer, using the dough hook, mix all the dry ingredients together.  While the mixer is running on med/low, add the oil and water; mix until the dough comes together.  Cover with a towel and allow to rest 10 minutes.

Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured board and lead to form a slightly sticky dough; try not to add additional flour.  Place dough into a lightly oiled large bowl, wrong side down, then turn up and cover with plastic wrap.  Allow to rise about 1 1/2 hours.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board once more and gently deflate.  Shape into a loaf and place in a 9" x 5" loaf pan.  I used a Brotform or a Banneton, which is lightly floured, to form the loaf because I wanted to bake it on a stone.
Allow to rise in the loaf pan or form, covered with plastic wrap, for 30-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375F-degrees.  If you are using a baking stone, preheat with the stone in the oven.

Bake loaf or turn out dough onto the baking stone, for 35 to 40 minutes.  Check interior temperature; should read between 190F-degrees & 200F-degrees.  Remove dough from the oven and allow to cool before transferring it to a rack to cool completely.
The texture was perfect and accompanied a nice bowl of Corn/Potato Chowder to counteract the cool evening.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely loaf. The addition of the potato surely makes this rye bread unique. I do like the brotform. So professional, my friend. XOXO ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using the potato flour to give a soft texture--so good for sandwiches!

      Delete
  2. That looks bakery perfect, Susan. A couple of slices with some homemade jam...I am in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My late beloved hubby enjoyed rye bread, too, Susan. Your bread form sure makes for a pretty loaf. I have some rye flour out in my freezer, and I could make this delicious bread. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete