Saturday, October 21, 2017

Butter Pecan Angle Food Cake with Browned Butter Glaze

All a recipe has to say is "Butter Pecan" and it peaks my interest!  I found this recipe in a special release magazine called Fall Baking Cookbook on the newsstand at my grocery store and this is just one of many I'll be trying with the fall weather upon us.

Angel Food Cake originated in the United States and it's a type of sponge cake but made with egg whites, flour and sugar, with a whipping agent like Cream of Tartar.  It was so named because of it's unique light and fluffy texture and is said to resemble the "food of the angels!"  It first became popular in the 19th century and it differs from other cakes because it uses no butter, but rather gets it's structure from "protein foam" from whipping egg whites.  Egg whites, which are composed of many proteins, aid in creating the voluminous angel food cake.

If you're a Butter Pecan fan, like me (and my mother was), then this is the cake for you; my hubby loved it!

Butter Pecan Angel Food Cake with Browned Butter Glaze

Preheat oven to 375F-degrees.  Used an UNGREASED 10-inch Tube Pan, preferably one with "feet" to help properly cool the cake.

1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (icing sugar)
1 cup cake flour
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup finely ground pecans
12 egg whites, at room temperature
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 T Butter flavoring
1 T Vanilla extract
1 T Vanilla Butternut Flavoring
1 cup granulated sugar

In a medium bowl, sift the confectioners' sugar and cake flour.  Add the salt and stir.  Set aside.

In a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and flavorings until frothy on high speed.  Gradually add the granulated sugar, beating until stiff and peaks form.  My mom always said, "if you can turn the bowl upside down over your head and none falls out, you've whipped it enough!"

Remove bowl from the stand and gently fold in the flour/confectioners' sugar mixture in thirds until it's fully incorporated.  This can get a little messy, but gently folding ensures you have a light cake!
Spoon mixture into the 10-inch Tube pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes--mine actually took 38, so watch it after 35 just to be sure.
If you don't have a 10-inch tube pan with feet, you will have to invert the pan onto a top of a bottle. Let it cool completely.

Browned Butter Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
10T unsalted butter, cubed and browned

In a saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat until it turns a medium brown and has a nutty aroma--about 8 minutes.  Have your confectioners' sugar and salt in a medium bowl and when the butter is ready, pour over the sugar through a fine-mesh strainer.  Whisk until smooth.  Pour over the inverted cooled cake and decorate with additional chopped pecans. Enjoy!


24 comments:

  1. I love butter pecan so this looks amazing. If only I baked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could have a slice now! Haven't baked or had angel food cake in a really long while. This looks so good with glaze and extra pecans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth the effort...now I have egg yolks to make more creme brûlée !

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh, yes, I am a butter pecan fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just imagine how angelic this cake is! Your hubby is one lucky man to have you baking all these fabulous treats, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kitty--49 years and counting, he keeps me around:-)

      Delete
  5. I'm not a big fan of butter pecan, but this cake looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you either love it or can leave it! But I did like the flavor!

      Delete
  6. I love butter pecan, Susan. My husband's birthday is this week and he is a chocolate fan so I must make a chocolate cake. But after that I will be baking this beauty. It's fun to be back to the kitchen after being gone for six weeks. XOXO ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you back--I've missed you! Happy Birthday to your hubby!

      Delete
  7. I'm a pecan lover too. but I have to kid you a little about the title of the cake. I have a handwritten recipe from a beloved aunt for an Angel Salad but I get a smile on my face every time I look at it thinking about her. It says Angle Salad like your cake. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog was absolutely fantastic!
    Great deal of great information & this can be useful some or maybe the other way.
    Keep updating your blog,anticipating to get more detailed contents.
    ตารางบอล

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love butter pecan so this looks amazing. If only I baked!

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see the greatest contents on your blog and I extremely love reading them. 相睇公司

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. grocery store online shopping

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robert DuBois's debut to the DCEU hasn't happened yet, but his new look at Infinite Frontier brings his comic Bloodsport costume closer to how it looks on the big screen. Now working for Amanda Waller as a sort of scout for Suicide Squad, Bloodsport is armed with a much more apt suit for the fight he chooses.

    ReplyDelete