Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Best Blondies!

I love chocolate as much as the next person and brownies are one of my favorite things to bake. However, a few months ago, I tried this recipe for Blondies from "The Sweeter Side of Amy's Bread" and I completely fell in love with this wonderfully moist bar topped with roasted walnuts and semi-sweet chocolate morsels.
The recipe makes 25 large bars, baked in a 12 x 17-inch baking sheet and you might think that's a big bar for one person, but honestly, after one bite, you will end up finishing it and not feel guilty at all. The bars pack up well to give as a gift (if you can stand to part with them) and stay fresh, air tight, for several days.
A last note from this baker...I've convinced myself because the bars have walnuts suspended on top and throughout the bar, it makes them good for you! Even if you're a brownie lover, I bet you will love these just as much. Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. These sound good. What's the difference between a blondie and a cookie bar that has sweetened condensed milk (like the Eagle Brand ones with chocolate, nuts, and coconut)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blondies are made like you do a brownie, except you're not adding melting chocolate or cocoa. You mix brown sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla, then, add a flour mixture that includes baking powder and salt. 7-Layer, Magic, or "Conga" Bars are made by layering ingredients in a baking pan, then, pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over it and bake. Blondies definitely have a "cake-like" center where the layered bars are more "chewy". I hope that answers your question...good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since we're asking...
    My blondies always turn out flat and too dense. Bad Recipe? High Altitude (when I lived in Colorado?)Or am I overmixing because I can't wait to eat them??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too dense...probably overmixing. I ALWAYS fold or stir my flour in. Remember, I said they were cake-like. Also, this recipe calls for starting them in a 350F-degree oven for 10 minutes, but says to lower to 325F-degrees for the final 16-18 minutes. Another thing, please use the correct pan a recipe calls for. I once went to a lecture given by Christopher Kimball of Cooks Illustrated magazine, and he said if you don't have an ingredient (or the right equipment) don't make that recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Old Fashioned Soft Oatmeal~Raisin~Pecan Cookies

I love crunchy chocolate chip cookies, but my oatmeal cookies need to be soft and chewy. Yes, I'm quirky, but if you have the same...