Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Best Blondies!

I love chocolate as much as the next person and brownies are one of my favorite things to bake. However, a few months ago, I tried this recipe for Blondies from "The Sweeter Side of Amy's Bread" and I completely fell in love with this wonderfully moist bar topped with roasted walnuts and semi-sweet chocolate morsels.
The recipe makes 25 large bars, baked in a 12 x 17-inch baking sheet and you might think that's a big bar for one person, but honestly, after one bite, you will end up finishing it and not feel guilty at all. The bars pack up well to give as a gift (if you can stand to part with them) and stay fresh, air tight, for several days.
A last note from this baker...I've convinced myself because the bars have walnuts suspended on top and throughout the bar, it makes them good for you! Even if you're a brownie lover, I bet you will love these just as much. Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. These sound good. What's the difference between a blondie and a cookie bar that has sweetened condensed milk (like the Eagle Brand ones with chocolate, nuts, and coconut)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blondies are made like you do a brownie, except you're not adding melting chocolate or cocoa. You mix brown sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla, then, add a flour mixture that includes baking powder and salt. 7-Layer, Magic, or "Conga" Bars are made by layering ingredients in a baking pan, then, pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over it and bake. Blondies definitely have a "cake-like" center where the layered bars are more "chewy". I hope that answers your question...good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since we're asking...
    My blondies always turn out flat and too dense. Bad Recipe? High Altitude (when I lived in Colorado?)Or am I overmixing because I can't wait to eat them??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too dense...probably overmixing. I ALWAYS fold or stir my flour in. Remember, I said they were cake-like. Also, this recipe calls for starting them in a 350F-degree oven for 10 minutes, but says to lower to 325F-degrees for the final 16-18 minutes. Another thing, please use the correct pan a recipe calls for. I once went to a lecture given by Christopher Kimball of Cooks Illustrated magazine, and he said if you don't have an ingredient (or the right equipment) don't make that recipe!

    ReplyDelete