Saturday, September 12, 2009

Game Day Lunch

On the menu for the football game today is meatball subs, Confetti Pasta Salad, and a slice of the Easy Apple Cake in the cast-iron skillet.
The bread recipe I made for the baguettes is simple and done in the Cuisinart, as my previous recipes. The added ingredient to the recipe was a cup of sourdough starter. I keep a crock in the refrigerator with it to add to bread, rolls, even pancakes batter, to give that oh, so familar tang distinctive of sour dough. Here's my recipe:
Proof 1 1/2 T. yeast in 1/2 cup very warm water with 1/2 tsp. sugar. Whisk to combine and let set 5-10 minutes until foamy. To the bowl of the Cuisnart add 5 cups Bread flour, 1 T. Kosher salt, 2 T. sugar; pulse several times to incorporate completely. Add 1 cup of sourdough starter and pulse again. Finally, add the yeast mixture and with the motor ON, adding more water through the feed tube as necessary to form the dough. Turn out onto a bread board and knead until smooth. I let my dough rise in a 10 qt. plastic tub, spray with a vegetable oil spray, for 45 minutes. When doubled in size, punch down the dough and turn it out onto the bread board to form loaves. At this point, preheat your oven to 425F-degrees (Convection)with a cast-iron skillet and lava rocks in the bottom of the oven. The baguette pan I have will do five (5) 12-inch loaves. Divide the dough (I did 5 pieces) and with your hands, pat them out flat. Next, roll the dough, tightly, towards you, pinching down as you go. When just about an inch of dough is left, bring up the side closest to you and pinch the seam.


Place loaves on the pan, sprayed with vegetable oil. I used a lame' to slice the tops in a diagonal motion, to allow for expansion. Then, I sprayed with Quick Shine, covered them lightly with plastic wrap, and finally, with a towel to rise for 30 minutes.
Pour 1/2 to 3/4 cup water over the lava stones to start the "steaming" and place the tray of baguettes in the oven.


The loaves browned nicely in about 25 minutes, but watch your oven. I usually go by the aroma to know when the bread is done...something you will pick up the more you bake!
These baguettes are great, not just for sandwiches, but sliced diagonally and grilled to hold your favorite appetizer. In the summer, I love to make bruschetta with fresh tomatoes, basil, & minced garlic or spread baguettes with goat cheese and squeezed roasted garlic on top. Yum...yum!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. You should try it with my new obsession before the summer's over: spread a layer of goat cheese and then pile on grilled peaches and red onion. So amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go online to see for myself since dad told me all about the amazing lunch you made :)

    ReplyDelete