Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Easy Apple Cider Jelly...really!

Sometimes, ideas pop in my head and I just have to try it.  That was the case with the vision of Apple Cider jelly.  We're lucky to be living in Washington state where apples are abundant and since moving here I've fallen in love with a particular variety called Honey Crisp.  One of these apples usually makes up my lunch; not only is it a big apple, but biting into it makes you feel like you're drinking a cup of apple cider...no kidding!

I noticed before Thanksgiving, our local supermarket was carrying just that--Honey Crisp Apple Cider and the light bulb went on!
Last year I had made Pomegranate jelly with great success, so I thought, this would be a great way to capture that taste.  And, I was right.  The key to preparing jelly from juice (without all the peeling, coring, and straining) is to start with 100% juice, or in this case apple cider.  A lot of markets sell juice this way, especially Whole Foods, but I actually found the pomegranate juice at Costco!

This easy and yes, quick jelly will be part of my Christmas box, along with baked goods, to friends and family.  Homemade from the heart (and in this case, also the brain) is so appreciated by the recipients and brings me back to my mother's tradition of giving gifts from the kitchen at this time of year.

Apple Cider Jelly

5 cups of 100% apple cider
7 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 pouches of CERTO liquid fruit pectin (not the powder!)
1/2 tsp. butter (this cuts down on foam forming)

In a large Dutch Oven (or a 6-8 quart saucepot), measure out the juice and sugar.  Bring mixture to a rolling boil; one that cannot be stirred down.  Add the liquid pectin and stir completely.  Bring mixture back to a boil, stirring constantly.  Set timer for 1 minute once a rolling boil comes.  Turn the heat off and ladle into prepared jars, leaving about 1/8-inch space to the top of the jar.  Use a damp cloth (or paper towel) to wipe around the rim, then, place the sterilized lid and ring on; tightening the ring.  Turn jar upside down while you finish the rest of the jars.  This recipe made 8 jars of jelly.  Let the jars remain upside down for 10 minutes, then, turn right-side-up and you should hear the "pop" of the lid sealing.  If this doesn't happen after 5 minutes or so, turn the jar upside down again for another 5 minutes.  If it still doesn't seal, you can do the water-bath method.*  Let the jars stand at room temperature for 24 hours.  Store unopened jelly in a cool, dry, dark place for up to 1 year.  Refrigerature opened jelly up to 3 weeks...if they last that long!
  
*Water Bath: Cover jars 1-2 inches with boiling water. Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a gentle boil.  Process for 10 minutes. 

Making jams and jellies can be done year 'round, especially with the help of prepared juice.  Enjoy!  

8 comments:

  1. You amaze me Susan, I never would have imagined making jam or jelly in this way! When we lived in the mountains we frequented an apple orchard (this was where I purchased most of my vintage apron collection)...this orchard grew honey crisp apples, it was the first and last time I ever had them and I agree there is nothing like them!! I appreciate your homemade from the kitchen tradition of giving, it is one that I also hold close to my heart. Love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A success!!! Not that I doubted it for a minute. It looks fabulous as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound quick..and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. You are so creative and resourceful. Remember how Kelly and I would call you and say "Mom I have these 3 ingredients, what can I make?" and you'd always come up with something! What would I do without your hotline!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My darling friend, a quick pop over to your place this morning to bring love and hugs, thanks so much for your warm and wonderful comments on my blog, I am always so very touched and often shed afew tears at your most thoughtful words.
    The world is certainly a better place with people like you here, sharing your love round.
    My little picture of Kelly & Ari sits on my dresser, I look at it each and every day, always sending love to all.
    It is so very hard to think that such an awful tragrady brought us together and I would, with a very happy heart give up our friendship to take it all back to how it was before but I have a feeling that Kelly had a hand in bringing people together, knowing there were things in their hearts that needed sharing and I dream that she introduced us, after holding my little girl Emma Joan and realizing these Mamas need each other.
    I am always here for you, always ... only ever a thought a way.
    You are an incredible Lady and it is an honour.
    Love you
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. me again, sorry lol
    I just wanted to add how proud I'm sure Kelly is of her fabulous Mama
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I had to try this recipe, and it was so easy! They're going to make great stocking stuffers. I do have a question about the canning process. I had to put three of them through the water bath, but they still didn't "pop". I pushed down one and it bounced back. The other two stayed down. Does that mean they've sealed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really very nice recipes you shared, i like the post, thanks for sharing.. easy recipes

    ReplyDelete