Thursday, December 2, 2010

Wish List--Veggie Chicken Pot Pie

Okay, I admit...I'm the Queen of Gadgets, Bakeware, and Unusual Ingredients!  My son-in-law, Matt, has even created a game he plays with dinner guests called "Guess What This Is?"  I'm used to being made fun of by my family, but tonight I have the last laugh with my latest appliance--Breville's "the Personal Pie."

Since I have a freezer full of pie dough, I decided to make my Veggie Chicken Pot Pie into individual portions with my latest purchase.  The Personal Pie maker caught my eye one evening while I was perusing the Williams-Sonoma catalogue and my imagination was inspired.  I think my grandchildren will just love, not only savory mini pies, but think about all the sweet ones I can create.

Veggie Chicken Pot Pie

3-4 pie dough disks
2-3 Yukon Gold Potatoes, washed and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into chunks
3/4 cup frozen corn
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 pkg. Quorn Chicken Tenders (of course you can use real chicken, probably 2-3 breasts cut into pieces)
1/2 tsp Thyme
1- 1 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt and  3/4 tsp. Pepper  (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3 cups vegetable broth
1 T. corn starch

Preheat oven 400F-degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.  
Place potatoes, carrots, and onion are the baking sheet and drizzle with 2-3 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil and toss with your hands.  Sprinkle with the thyme and garlic powder and toss again.  Roast vegetables in the oven 30 minutes.  Add the peas and corn and remove remove from the oven.  


Meanwhile in a 6 quart-saucepan, heat 2-3 T olive oil.  Add the Quorn Chicken Tenders and saute until golden brown.  Add the roasted vegetables and the vegetable stock.  Heat on med/high until it boils, then turn down the temperature.  Mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and whisk together.  Slowly add to the chicken mixture and stir well.  When mixture thickens, turn off heat and remove from the stove.


Roll the pie dough out and using the cutter that comes with the appliance, cut out bottom disks.  Add the veggie chicken filling and cover with a dough top.  Close the lid and cook according to directions.  I set my timer for 8 minutes and they came out perfect.  I transferred the mini pies to a foil-lined baking sheet and kept warm in the oven (275F-degrees) while I baked the remaining pies.  This recipe will make12-15 individuals pies.


Pot pies are something my Mom made us.  She would bake them in the individual aluminum pans as a special treat.  I think she would have loved this appliance and I can't wait to try some of my favorite fruit pies next.  And, the point of this post, if you have a Wish List and love to bake, this should be on it!  Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. wow! what a neat appliance! these look great susan and you had me laughing out loud reading the game matt created : ) love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I am your newest follower. I've found YOU! Hurrah.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is something so comforting about chicken pot pies...i can smell them from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a COOL gadget!! And your salad looks pretty yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what fun and those pies look wonderful x

    ReplyDelete