Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Banana Creme Brulee Cakelets

I was just telling my sister, the other day, I love making Swiss Butter Cream, Macarons, and even the Seven-Minute Frosting for the Candy Corn Cupcakes, but I'm always perplexed what to do with so many egg yolks leftover.  Sure, I can make lemon curd or ice cream or even, sponge cake, however, the Seven Minute Frosting alone, took six egg whites and Macarons, eight.  See my problem.  So, with egg yolks and ripened bananas, again :(, it came to me to try a recipe where I started with a Creme Brulee base and turned it into a really wonderful dessert.

Growing up I had never heard of Creme Brulee; although, my mother made the best egg custard, which is its "country" cousin.  Other desserts in this category are Creme Caramel and Flan,  The earliest date that Creme Brulee showed up was in a 1691 French cookbook.  Great Britain followed, except the name changed to Creme Anglaise.  Whatever you call it, it made for a great inspiration.  What has inspired you to bake?

Banana Creme Brulee Cakelets
Creme Brulee Base:
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
2 vanilla beans, split and scraped
6 egg yolks
1 1/2 bananas, mashed
In a small sauce pan, heat the heavy cream, sugar, salt, and vanilla beans--don't boil, just cook until the sugar has dissolved.

In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks.  When "bubbles" have appeared around the edges of the cream, remove from the heat.  Add a couple of tablespoons of cream to the egg yolks, whisking immediately to start "tempering."  Keep adding a couple of tablespoons, whisking each time, until you've added about half of the cream.  Return everything to the sauce pan and heat until slightly thickened on med/low heat, whisking continuously.  Remove from the heat and cool.  Stir in the mashed bananas.

Preheat oven 350F-degrees.  Spray a mini-Bundt pan with a non-stick baking spray.
Banana Batter:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 1/2 banana, sliced


In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes on medium speed.  Add the cooled Banana Creme Brulee base, mixing on low speed to combine.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.

Remove the bowl from the mixer stand and stir in the dry ingredients.  Stirring the mixture will prevent over beating!  Cut the bananas.
Yes, I have a banana slicer!

Perfect, even sliced bananas!

Place 4 slices of banana in the bottom of the pan, then, scoop up the batter and place on top.  Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes.

Let cakelets cool about 5 minutes before inverting on a parchment-lined baking rack.  Sprinkle with Turbinado or Raw Cane Sugar and using a Kitchen torch, caramelize the tops.
The moist cakelet and the crunchy, caramelized tops makes a perfect dessert for a cool, Fall evening.  
Enjoy!




 

7 comments:

  1. We have one important question - Do they ship well? OMG...these are unbelievable?! How do you outdo yourself every time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about you--I have a Pup Cake recipe that I think you'll just love Cashie! As for your Mom & Dad, they have treats coming soon. Most of my recipes come from my mother telling me, "waste not, want not." Nothing gets thrown away in this kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello my darling, wow those look so good, how you treat us
    always in my thoughts, you and your lovely family
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coooool!! A banana slicer!! Is there a gadget that you don't have?
    PS--The little cakes look wonderfully delicious! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is crazy. How did you know that I just made a from scratch white cake for one of my teacher's birthday and had 5 egg yolks in the fridge? I will be making this tomorrow. Thank you for reading my mind and solving my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie~Always happy to help:) Sis...yeah, I pretty much have every gadget on earth, tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should post a picture of a gadget and see if people can guess what it's for! I love this recipe and will have to try but this weekend I'm decorating halloween cookies since it's October

    ReplyDelete