Saturday, August 4, 2012

Cinnamon Sticky Bun Cake

Both my grands have gone home and I'm lost without them...especially in the kitchen.  I flew Maddie home yesterday and returned last night with a strange quietness in the house.  Oh, how I miss those laughs and the constant call of "Mimi!"

I'm exhausted and the temperatures actually reached 91F-degrees (33C) here today, but baking helps me to remember good times, especially these last two weeks, and this recipe has been bouncing around in my head begging to be tried.  I thought, "how could I make a cake that resembled one of my favorite breakfast treats--cinnamon sticky buns?" Those warm gooey buns, loaded with pecans appear to be of German origin from the 18th century.  Schnecken is leavened dough that has been rolled, then spread with butter, sprinkled with a cinnamon~brown sugar mixture and topped with pecans onto the surface before rolling them up and cutting into buns.   The cake I made is sponge cake, much like my mother made for jelly-roll cakes, but the buttercream icing is loaded with cinnamon and homemade caramel, not to mention toasted pecans to create this memorable cake.

Cinnamon Sticky Bun Cake
1 cup Queen Guinevere Cake Flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. fine Sea Salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar + 1/4 cup for the egg whites
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
4 large eggs (separated)
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
2 Tahitian Vanilla beans, split and scraped

Preheat oven to 325F-degrees.  Spray a 12" x 16" baking pan with a baking spray.  Line with parchment paper and spray again.  Dust surface with flour or use a baking spray that contains flour.
Sift the dry ingredients and place in a large bowl.  In a measuring cup, add the eggs, oil and water and stir into the dry ingredients, using a spatula, briskly.
Add the vanilla beans and stir to combine.

In a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat the eggs whites until frothy, then, add the cream of tartar and beat until slightly stiff. White the mixer is running, slowly add the remaining 1/4-cup of granulated sugar.  Beat until the egg whites are stiff and shiny.
Stir one-third of the stiff egg whites into the batter and then, proceed to gently fold the rest in, about 1/3 at a time--try not to deflate the mixture.
Spread the batter onto the prepared baking sheet and place in the oven.  Cook 16 to 20 minutes until cake is golden brown and fully cooked.
Let cake cool completely before assembly.

Make Homemade Caramel or use store-bought.

Cinnamon Butter Cream w/Toasted Pecans
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
5 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup caramel

1 1/2 cups toasted pecans

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Toast pecans for 7 to 9 minutes.  Remove from the oven and rough chop them.  Set aside.

In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter thoroughly.  Add the confectioners' sugar and continue to beat, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.  Add the cinnamon and the caramel and beat to combine.
Spread the buttercream on the cake and sprinkle with the toasted pecans.

Divide the cake into thirds.
Roll up the first section and stand it up on the serving dish. 
Continue with the second, then the third strip to complete the "roll."
Use the buttercream to icing the entire outside of the cake.  Sprinkle with additional pecans.
The cake is light and the icing is so amazing.  It may not be as good as a hot sticky bun from the oven, but it's pretty darn close:-) Enjoy!




 


21 comments:

  1. o my...that's a piece of heaven! They are so soft and light. And that pecan coating looks dang tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll have another piece for breakfast--that's the beauty of a cake that resembles a breakfast pastry! XOXO

      Delete
  2. I love this! It's like a giant cinnamon roll; what could be better?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, Schneckennudeln, my favorite. My aunt bakes the best ones, but we make them with hazelnuts. So, why do you actually live so far away? I would love a try some of your cake for "Betthupferl". It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the farmer's market yesterday; had to do a photo shoot for the new book. However, next week, I'll get to the hazelnut vendor and try Schneckennudeln with them--my mouth is watering! XOXO

      Delete
  4. I have never had the inclination to roll a cake until now. That looks incredible. I am going to have to try it. I will admit I am scared. Rolling a cake looks hard. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no worries that your "rolling" will be perfect! The icing (and wide spatula) helps stick the next section to the first. However, You could also just cut the three sections and stack them one on top of the other, then icing it all over. Happy Baking!

      Delete
  5. absolutely fabulous! my mouth is watering for the taste of your cake. guess I'll have to settle for cinnamon sticks from Cinabuns on the way to my fathers' at the rest stop on the hi-way. bet yours are a lot better!
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think this is a shipping cake or I'd send you a piece to compare!

      Delete
  6. YOUZA! This is so creative and looks so delicious, Susan! I'm sure you miss the kids so much...Glad you got to spend so much time together doing what you all love: baking and creating. Lv, me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! My hubby said I was out like a light last night when he went to bed. When he said "good night," I woke up and said, "Is Maddie in bed??" I miss those little darlings and wish we lived closer. XOXO

      Delete
  7. i missed this post susan, i'm sorry its already time for the children to go back home! i know i would feel the same way. i'm feeling guilty because my grands live close by but sometimes days go by before i get to see them! ah well, it is always something to look forward to, seeing them again.

    and this recipe is spectacular, but i will not be making it, i am anticipating all the food there will be on the cruise we'll be going on soon (oh dear)! thank you for all that you share. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely understand! It's like an international flight...they feed you all the time and there's so much food!! Enjoy! XOXO

      Delete
  8. You are SO creative!! This cake is gorgeous and I'm sure is delicious. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recipes bounce around my head and sometimes they come out and sometimes, well, they don't. My hubby says this is one of the best cakes he's ever had! (Could he be a little partial;-)

      Delete
  9. Yum yum yum is all I can say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've been hearing that from hubby! I think it's the icing that makes this cake a hit-best American buttercream I've ever made. XOXO

      Delete
  10. There HAS to be a way for this to ship to OHIO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could deliver it when I come to visit my favorite grandson!!

      Delete
  11. This sounds super-yummy and looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete