Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tropical Storm Poundcake with Banana Ice Cream


I couldn't help but think about Isaac bearing down on the islands in the Caribbean and heading for Florida when I came up with this cake.  I have friends in those areas, as well as, in Louisiana (which may get it mid-week) and thought about the "Hurricane Parties" I've heard so much about.

One of my favorite artists, Mary Chapin Carpenter, sings about them in her song, "Down at the Twist & Shout."  A hurricane party is a social event held by people in the coastal United States who stubbornly choose not to evacuate.   However, if you saw the movie, "Nights in Rodanthe," with Richard Gere and Diana Lane, the party was held afterwards to celebrate surviving the hurricane!  More my choice.

If you love coconut, as I do, thanks to my mother's memories living on Hawaii, then this cake is for you.  I've added cream of coconut, which is a product from what remains after chilling coconut milk and skimming off the thick layer that is left on top.  Think of it as what sweetened condensed milk is to regular milk!  On top of that, I added another cup of sweetened shredded coconut, just to give some texture.

The Banana Ice Cream is actually a recipe that has been sweeping the internet and just in case you haven't heard about it, I thought it would be the perfect accompaniment to the cake.  It's basically one ingredient--bananas, that you have cut into 1 1/2" pieces and frozen for at least 2 hours.  Place them in the food processor and pulse until a creamy, frozen dessert develops.

Tropical Storm Poundcake
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs
1/2 cup Cream of Coconut
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
Coconut flakes

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with a non-stick baking spray and set aside.

In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter.  Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add the Cream of Coconut and vanilla and mix again.
Add the flour and sweetened coconut and beat to combine.  
Spoon batter into the Bundt cake pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown on top and  a wooden skewer, poked in the middle, comes out cleanly.
Before you turn the oven off, toast some large coconut flakes.
 Let cake set for 10 minutes before you invert it onto the serving plate.
I must have missed a spot with the baking spray and had a little bit of the cake stick--Glaze to the rescue!
Let cool about 30 minutes, then pour on the glaze and sprinkle with the toasted coconut.
Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 T light Karo syrup
1 T Cream of Coconut
1 - 2 T very hot water

To make the Banana "Ice Cream"
1. Slice bananas (I used 5) and place on a tray.  Set tray in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
2. Place the frozen bananas in the bowl of a food processor.
3. The bananas look like snow at first...
 4. ...but with a little more "power" it turns to a smooth, soft-serve ice cream.
5.  Spoon into a container and place in freezer until ready to serve.


A slice of the Tropical Storm Poundcake and a scoop of Banana "Ice Cream" and it's a perfect dessert when that storm passes!  As my Dad would say, "batten down the hatches" and stay safe. Enjoy!



  


13 comments:

  1. This really looks good. I would love that cake so I am putting this recipe in my recipe book. Thanks Susan. I posted the banana cake recipe if you would like to try it. It really is delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it does look delish and I am actually looking forward to having bananas begging to be in something baked:-)

      Delete
  2. YUM!!!!! Our weather here in the Hudson Valley is overcast & humid; looking like we could get some side effects of Isaac; so maybe I'll have to make this cake? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ingredients in your Tropical Pound Cake! My Dad loved coconut and this recipe makes me think of him. I must tell you I made your Race for the Roses Pecan pie and my husband declared it a winner! Pecans and chocolate are a match made in heaven. Have
    a wonderful day Susan and thanks for your recipes. xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your husband--that is one of my favorites I've come up with, XOXO

      Delete
  4. i did not know any of this stuff! I have never heard of hurricane parties and have never made my bananas look like snow. thanks for this yummy recipe..and fun information!! the cake looks just fabulous!
    I a your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE your blog! It reminds me a lot of my mom (I'm #5 out of 8)! Thanks for stopping by, XOXO

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous cake!!! You have a lovely blog....I think I will stay and look around....I think this calls for a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--I have the tea kettle on, herbal or regular:-D

      Delete
  6. 3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually get rid of fat by consuming coconut fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete