Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Dried Cherry~White Chocolate Chip Plate Cake

I love simple...but delicious desserts.  Many a time, my mother would whip up a quick dessert like a simple, plain cake, chocolate, rice or bread pudding just so we had a special treat after dinner.  This cake fits the bill.

I came across this simple cake in Paul Hollywood's book, British Baking and decided, with the rush of the season and all I have on my plate, this would be a great snacking cake for after dinner or a late afternoon break.  I was an American history minor in college, which is why I collect so many cookbooks; I love learning about the traditions of food and the cultures that brought them to the New World.  This is definitely very similar to the quick cakes my mom would make and I wonder if her grandmothers handed the recipes down to her.  By the way, this recipes comes from Wales.

I bake, using a scale, so reading this recipe in grams and millilitres wasn't difficult, but I have given all my American friends the conversion to cups for ease. 

Dried Cherry~White Chocolate Chip Plate Cake
7 1/2 T  (110g) unsalted butter, cut in small cubes
1/2 cup (110g) granulated (castor) sugar
1 1/2 +3T (225g) all-purpose (plain) flour
2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 large eggs
3/4 cup (100g) dried cherries
1/2 cup (100g) white chocolate chips
1/2 cup (100ml) milk

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees (180C).  Spray a metal or ceramic pie plate with a cooking spray.
In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder and salt and while the mixer is running, add the cubed butter.  Continue to mix until it looks like coarse sand.
Add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla, then while the mixer is running, slowly pour in the milk.  The batter should be somewhat thick.
Stir in the dried cherries and white chocolate chips, then, spoon into the prepared pie plate, smoothing the top.  Finally, sprinkle some Sparking White Sugar on top or use Demerara sugar.  Bake 35-45 minutes or until the center (using a tester) comes out cleanly. 

The cake was delicious and just the perfect dessert after a busy day.  Enjoy! 
 

14 comments:

  1. The cake looks wonderful and I love your cake safe! I'm glad you did the conversions although I could have used my new scale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can do this cake but instead of choc. chips I might add some nuts. thanks for converting to cups.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you not like white chocolate--you know it's not chocolate.

      Delete
  3. Well Miss Susan....what't not to love! This is simply divine looking! It has two of my favorite things....dried cherries and white chocolate I am going to try my hand at this! Thank you precious! Wishing you and your family the merriest of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend--happy holidays to you and your family too😊

      Delete
  4. Love that combo of cherries and white chocolate, too! I'm changing up one of my xmas cookies to include that combo, I think it's so elegant--as is your cake. Simple, but elegant. Hope your holiday prep is going well, my friend! lv, me

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I think this looks like breakfast cake to me!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too adore simple yet delicious treats. Your cake looks very beautiful and it must be very delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks wonderful, but what I'm finding so interesting is the cake saver...a unique one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of a plate cake, and this one looks scrumptious! Thanks for doing the conversion for us! I just happen to have dried cherries and white chocolate chips, so maybe I can find time to make this!

    ReplyDelete