Friday, February 20, 2015

Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats & February's Apron

We've had a taste of winter here this past week...nothing like the Northeast or what Boston is going through, but still enough to keep us in for 4 days.  I can hear you laughing from here!

View of the backyard and my new line of dies, Garden Notes~Tulips and stamps, Seeds of Thought
When we had snow days, I loved to make Rice Krispie Treats with my girls.  Today, I thought I'd change them up a bit by browning the butter first and adding a little salt to provide that dual sweet/salty flavor, and, the good side of "cabin fever" is that I finally got the apron sewn for this month.  I had no idea that February would  bring record-breaking snow, so I hope you can see the lighter side of the fabric I chose:-D  To win this apron, all you need to do is comment on this month's posts; if your cold fingers can type!

Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
12 T (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter + more for greasing the pan
1 1/2 bags of marshmallows (about 16 oz)
1/2 tsp salt + more for sprinkling the top
12 cups Rice Krispies

Butter a 9" x 12" x 2" baking pan. Set aside.  Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven, over medium heat, melt the butter and allow to brown about 4-6 minutes while stirring constantly. It will foam first, then, it "settles" down and you will see a golden brown color. 
  
 Add the marshmallow and stir until melted--the mixture has a lovely caramel color.
Add the salt, then the Rice Krispies.  Stir, using a rubber spatula until the Rice Krispies are combined  completely.  Spoon or pour mixture into the butter baking pan, pressing down firmly with the rubber spatula (be careful, mixture is hot.) Sprinkle the top, lightly with additional salt.

 I allowed them to cool about 15 minutes, then I cut them with my Pizza Knife...

I wrapped each one in plastic wrap, but not before trying a few--Enjoy!

I do know what the Northeast is going through because we lived there from '92-2001 and went through some snowy winters.  In fact, that's how I got started making 3-dimensional flowers from paper.  Think Spring!



 

19 comments:

  1. Using browned butter and salt is genius, Susan! The grands are coming, so we must make these together! xo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the use of browned butter! You've made another beautiful apron!! Believe me, I am thinking spring----very cold and windy here. It was -5.7 before the wind chill. More bad weather starting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not laughing at you at all! Winter has been brutal!

    Lovely new dies you've created...truly lovely. The apron is terrific, as always.

    The recipe sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! These treats look extra special. The apron is adorable as always, but I'm in love with your latest paper creations and stamps! What a talented friend you are! It's cold here but then I watch the news and know just how lucky I am!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these treats look so yummy! Your apron is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have me at brown butter! These krispie treats look awesome!
    Have a wonderful weekend, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, my! I haven't thought of rice krispy treats in years....Michael used to like them. Hey, Susan I remember those snowy days with you making the punch flowers! remember trying to teach me to make the roses....never happened but I do like the other paper punch flowers we made.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love the Garden Notes--easy and perfect for card makers!

      Delete
  8. Oh how yummy! My daughter and I used to make Rice Krispie treats and watch a movie together.We would eat them right out of the pan! Wonderful idea to brown the butter! Can't wait to try these! Darling apron as always Susan! Where do you find the time precious???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel really bad that I didn't get an apron up for January--but I'm trying to keep up with everything. Traveling more and teaching kind of puts a damper into things.

      Delete
  9. What a perfect apron for this winter. We have 6 feet of snow here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly, we had only an inch of snow and then a layer of ice--it shut the city down for 3 days!

      Delete
  10. I will be giving this recipe a shot. I am ashamed to admit I cannot make Rice Krispy bars. How horrible is that. Hopefully, your recipe will redeem me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These taste really good--hope this time they turn out!

      Delete
  11. Love the apron, is it your pattern? or where can I find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the pattern at a quilt shop in Staunton, VA in 2009; it's called the Four-Square Apron.

      Delete
  12. Rice Krispie treats are the best–these sound yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummo!! What a great idea and bonus to one of my favorite treats.

    ReplyDelete