Monday, January 9, 2017

Lemon Bliss Bundt Cake

Lemon is a favorite and this Bundt cake, which is King Arthur Flour's Cake of 2017, is packed with it.  From the lemon zest in the cake, to a lemon glaze and lemon icing, it hit the ball out of the park (a baseball term in honor of my hubby!)

Still "ice in" from Winter Storm Helena...which by the way, when did we start naming winter storms? my baking continued into Sunday making this delicious cake.  Very easy and oh so delicious.

Lemon Bliss Bundt Cake
16 T (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 large eggs, at room temperature*
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups King Arthur All-purpose Flour
1 cup milk, preferably whole milk
Zest of 2 medium lemons
1/2 tsp. Lemon Oil (optional)

Glaze:
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup granulated sugar

Icing:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (icing sugar), sifted
pinch of salt
2 to 3 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. light Karo syrup (this is my addition to give it a shine!)

*If you forget, like I do most times, to set out your eggs...simply place them in very warm water for about 5 minutes.  You'll still get the benefit of room temperature eggs that crack easily!

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Spray a 10 or 12 cup Bundt pan with baking spray and set aside.  I used one of the new designs, Party Bundt Pan.

In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy and lightened in color.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula once all the eggs are added, then beat briefly to re-combine any residue.

Add the baking powder to the flour and in three parts, alternately with the milk, starting and ending with the flour.  Mix, until everything is well combined, the batter will a bit rough, but shouldn't have any large lumps.  Stir in the lemon zest and oil (if using).

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, leveling it and smooth the top with a spatula.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, make the glaze by stirring together the lemon juice and sugar.  Microwave or heat over a burner briefly, stirring to dissolve the sugar.  You don't want to cook the lemon juice, so just until until very warm, but not uncomfortably hot--less than 1 minute should do it.  Set the glaze aside.

Remove the cake from the oven and carefully run a knife between cake and pan all around the edge.  Place the pan upside down on a cooling rack and gently shake the pan back and forth to loosen and remove it.

Brush the glaze all over the hot cake, both top and sides.  Let it sink in, then brush on more glaze continuing until all the glaze is used up.

Allow cake the cake to cool completely before icing and serving.
The crumb is so tender and the flavor is so lemony.  This is definitely a Cake of the Year--Enjoy!

19 comments:

  1. Oh! My! No wonder they are calling it the Cake of the Year! That's a tempting beauty for sure.
    We have also started naming our storms in the UK and are now in our third season of doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why they started naming storms...I only thought hurricanes were named. The cake tasted so good and is certainly a treat being stuck indoors with this cold!

      Delete
  2. That looks heavenly! Moist crumb, golden crust and lemon flavour..my mouth is watering terribly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lemon, as did my mom, and this cake delivers on taste!

      Delete
  3. This looks and sounds delicious! I had to laugh over the "room temperature" comment. My kitchen didn't get above 60 degrees yesterday and that is with the heat on. Old house - little insulation. Maybe I better use your warm water suggestion all the time. LOL Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes and thanks again for an apron I won in the past. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With me, it's being 66 and forgetting to take the eggs out; butter, yes, but eggs no! Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  4. This cake looks so delicious and moist. I love lemon in any dessert. Why do you use unsalted butter and then add salt??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salted butter has more water in it because the salt holds it in. Unsalted is always best for baking.

      Delete
  5. King Arthur knew what they were doing on this one, Susan. Cake of the year! Beautiful lemon cake would be lovely with afternoon tea. I know you are staying warm and cozy in your kitchen. xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's freezing here and the ice remains--hopefully today, it will start melting. I would love to have tea with you:-D

      Delete
  6. This looks so good. I love a good lemon cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is delicious looking. I like anything lemon for its fresh, fresh flavor. I am having trouble getting my cake out of the pan in one piece. Naming winter storms started several years ago. I find it odd, too. Are you enjoying being iced/snowed in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have cabin fever! But feeling guilty since other places get so much more snow!

      Delete
  8. This looks so good. Lemon is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my ! a lemon cake that I know I will like. plan on trying this recipe soon.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kind of cake !! love lemon cake, lemon meringue pie....

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sons both love anything lemon. I'm always looking for new recipes. This will do the trick for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete