Thursday, January 13, 2011

Ginger Spice & Everything Nice Cookies

When I returned home (sadly) on Monday from my week with my grandson, Ari, I had The Baking Sheet from King Arthur Flour awaiting me.  The first thing that caught my eye was these Ginger Spice Cookies and I thought I would share them...because you just can't have enough ginger cookie recipes : )

Kelly's favorite (and mine) are the Giant Gingerbread Cookies I made in May, but these are a very close second in flavor and comfort for those snowy, cold days hitting much of the United States.  Even I came home to snow Monday evening, but nothing like New England faced with two feet or more, and ours has melted with temperatures in the 50s.  However, this is a great recipe to add to your cookie file and would be even better made with your kids.

Ginger Spice Cookies
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup crystallized ginger 
 2 1/4 cups King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cardamon (I added this, it wasn't in the original)
1/2 cup Sparkling Sugar Crystals 

Preheat oven to 375F-degrees.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper or use a Silpat.
In the KitchenAid, using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and molasses, blending well.  Add the dry ingredients; scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then mix in the crystallized ginger.  Chill dough for 10 -15 minutes or even overnight.

Scoop the dough into 1-inch balls with tablespoon scoop and roll in Sparkling Sugar Crystals.
Place the balls 2 to 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden and set.  Mine baked for exactly 11 minutes, so I suggest you set your oven timer for 10 minutes to check for doneness, adding more time if needed.
Let cool about 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.   The recipe yields about 3 dozen cookies.  


One of the games I played with Ari was "Dinosaur" because he received a very precious gift from Heidi Witte (humbleluna@gmail.com) of a dinosaur tail.  


It was cold and snowy outside, but feeding my little dinosaur became such a wonderful game and I know he would have loved these cookies.  Make Believe and Baking just seem to go together when you're snowed in with your kids!  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, he is too cute! I love the photo : )
    These cookies look amazing, one of my favorites too! But then again, I must say that of all of your recipes! Love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole led me to your post. I am so glad that Ari likes the Dragon tail I made for him, it looks great on him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It fit perfectly! He enjoyed finding places to sit that would "support" his tail! Thank you so much for the beautiful gift. Love, xoxo

    ReplyDelete