Saturday, January 22, 2011

Old Fashioned Doughnuts

I attribute my craving for a doughnut this morning to the stress of an upcoming craft trade show next week!  I've been knee-deep in creating projects for this show with my paper flowers and turning to comfort food brings me down to earth again.



I love old-fashioned doughnuts, better than the popular raised yeast ones, and this recipe was very easy to make. Even better the recipe only makes about 6--2 1/2 or 3-inch doughnuts, so the chance of me eating a dozen doughnuts is not a factor!  This recipe comes from a new book I have by Lara Ferroni, Doughnuts: Simple and Delicious Recipes to Make at Home.
When I'm in Kentucky, Kelly's guys take me to Magee's, a wonderful bakery in Chevy Chase.  Ari always gets a pumpkin muffin, Matt a breakfast sandwich, and me...a doughnut.  The last time I went, we ordered an extra doughnut because invariably Ari wants bites of mine on top of his muffin!  In fact, he likes to "taste" everyone's selection : )

Old Fashioned Sour Cream Doughnuts
Makes 6 to 10 doughnuts (if you don't cook the holes!)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup superfine sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 T unsalted butter, softened, or vegetable shortening

Vegetable oil for frying
Sift together the dry ingredients.  Stir in the salt and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, sour cream, egg and butter until smooth.
 Add the flour mixture, a little at a time, stirring until a smooth dough forms.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the batter for 15 to 20 minutes.
  Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/2-inch thick, then, cut out the doughnuts using a 2 1/2-inch diameter cutter.  You can reroll any scrap dough.
Heat at least 2-inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or use a deep fryer.  The thermometer should register 360F-degrees.
With a metal spatula, carefully place the doughnuts in the oil.  Fry for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until light golden brown.  Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.  Let cool slightly before glazing.

Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 to 4 T milk
1 tsp. vanilla


There are some real interesting doughnuts to try in this new book: German's Chocolate, Red Velvet, and even S'mores.  However, this morning, the old-fashioned, simple doughnut did the trick and I'm off to do some more flowers.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Your paper flower creation is so beautiful Susan, I know you have been working so hard on everything! Your doughnuts look great, I am trying to stay away from comfort foods! : ) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It's the treadmill the day after I get back for my "sins" right now. Spring is coming and I have to be in shape to get in shape for the gardens...not to mention the grands : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are superwoman baking, posting, making beautiful handmade flower creations and getting ready for the craft show. If only I had 1/5 of your energy!
    Maybe I need a doughnut too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Sunday Susan dear,

    YUUUUUMMMMMMM, I want a dozen of these. Look simple enough to do and I know my grands would adore them.

    I am happy to be going to Kentucky to give a talk at the Lexington Arboretum. What a fine group of people there and I love Kentucky.

    Sending love to you,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon~Kelly's memorial service was at the Arboretum--it's a beautiful place and the gardens are spectacular! I'll tell Matt to look for your talk and maybe you can meet Ari : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan, I'm still here lurking about your blog. I apologize for not commenting lately. You are surely the busiest, most energetic, sweetest friend I have. As we would say here in the south, no grass grows under your feet! Your flowers are gorgeous; I enlarged the picture umpteen times and they still appear completely life-like. I could easily mistake them for blooms fresh-picked from my garden. :D The recipes you’ve posted lately all sound so delicious – the Ginger Spice and Breakfast Cookies, Buttermilk Blueberry Pancake Muffins, Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter and Walnuts (in my kitchen they aren’t REAL brownies without walnuts!), Gnocchi, and Doughnuts. I will definitely add them to my “Recipes from Susan Cookbook”. Recently I baked your Pumpkin Ginger Cupcakes. I deleted the frosting and peanut brittle, and added dark chocolate chips and walnuts. My husband and I loved them. Two of them make a fine breakfast - warmed with a little pat of real butter – YUM! With the added chocolate chips and walnuts, the recipe yielded 3 dozen cupcakes so I shared with my sweet mother-in-law and my neighbors and who also loved them. They don’t know you but are soooo grateful to my friend who revived my love of baking! LOL! Good luck at the trade show, I hope you have a wonderful time. I am envious, wish I was going. :D

    Love and warm hugs, -m

    ReplyDelete