Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pineapple~Mango~Strawberry (PMS) Jam

I've been thinking a lot lately of about making a jam with pineapple.  It's one of my favorite fruits, just like my mom, and I often buy fresh pineapple to accompanied meals.  Keep in mind, though, even though I used fresh mango and strawberries in the jam, you have to use canned pineapple because of an enzyme in fresh that would prevent the jam from setting.

I thought PMS jam might just give you all a little chuckle, but honestly, it's blend of flavors, not to mention the beautiful rosy pink color will make any snow bound inhabitants cheery!  It's so simple to make and the recipe easily makes 8 half-pint jars, which should last you through this long, cold winter.

Pineapple~Mango~Strawberry (PMS) Jam
1 quart Strawberries
1 Mango
1 can (20 oz) Crushed Pineapple in natural juice
1/2 tsp. unsalted butter
1 box SureJell powdered pectin
5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
8 half-pint jars with lids and seals

Prepare jars as previously directed. 

In a food processor, place washed and drained strawberries and one mango.  Pulse several time until pureed.  Pour into a large Dutch Oven and add the crushed pineapple, including the juice.  Stir in the box of powdered pectin and add 1/2 tsp. unsalted butter (it keeps the jam mixture from producing too much foam).
Bring the mixture to a low boil, stirring constantly.  Add the sugar all at once and bring back to a boil.
When the mixture comes to a boil, set the timer for one minute.  Stirring constantly, boil mixture.  Turn off the heat.  Ladle into sterilized jars, wipe the edges with a damp cloth, then, place a seal and a ring over opening.  Turn to seal tightly and turn upside down.  Once all the jars are filled and turned upside down, set timer for 10 minutes and cover the jars with a towel.  After the time is up, you should hear the "popping" of sealed jars.  If any of the jars don't seal the first time, turn upside down again for another 10 minutes.

Jam keeps one year, if it lasts that long.  I have a little buddy who loves my jam and I'm sure he's going to love a jar or two of this PMS Jam.  Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. yum - sounds like a great combination

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I'm laughing at the name of the jam! ; )
    The combination sounds lovely yet I'm not sure I can get over the title lol possibly it would be just the right thing on certain days of the month! (Ok did I just write that?): ) I love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making jam as favors for my wedding, and I'd love to add this to my list! It sounds amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made several jars over the summer and it was terrific!! 2 days later I had a list of a half a dozen co workers (who had missed the party I gave them out at) asking for some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finished this
    Receipe man it is delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made a batch but used frozen fruit thawed in place of fresh can’t wait to taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. where to buy pineapple tarts

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did the frozen with pineapple turn out?

    ReplyDelete