Friday, April 16, 2010

Hmmmm...Strawberry Jam

Jam is one of the easiest things to make...really!  And, strawberry is one of my favorites.  The strawberries I used today are from California, but when our berries are ready to pick, here in Washington, I prefer their deep color and sweeter taste.  However, I will say, the berries in the markets now are pretty darn good and today's batch of jam was...ahh, delicious!
Strawberry Jam

5 cups crushed strawberries
7 cups sugar
1 pkg. Sure Jell powdered fruit pectin
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. butter

Start by preparing the jars.  I put my jars and lids in hot sudsy water.  Run your finger around the rim of the glass jar to make sure there aren't any nicks.  That would prevent the lid from sealing.
Once the jars are cleaned and rinsed, fill with water and place 4 at a time in the microwave.  I microwaved the jars at HIGH for 3 minutes, 45 seconds or until the water has boiled.  Use jar tongs (or a towel) to transfer the jars to a prepared bake sheet that has a layer of paper toweling, dump out the water and turn the jars upside down.
Repeat with 4 more jars (total of 8).  Meanwhile, prepare the fruit.  I cored 5-6 pints of strawberries and placed them in the Cuisinart. Measure the sugar in a separate bowl. (Do not reduce sugar or use sugar substitutes or it will result in set failures.) Place the rims into a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil.  When a boil has been reached, turn down heat to a simmer and add the lids to sterilize.
You need 5 cups of pureed fruit.
1) Place the fruit in a 6 quart pan.  I like to use my Le Creuset because it's cast iron with an enamel finish and it's a nice heavy pan to make jams.
2) Add one package of Sure Jell, the lemon juice, and butter. 
3) Bring mixture to a full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat.
4) Stir in sugar quickly.  Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.  remove from heat.  You shouldn't have any foam due to the butter, but if you do, skim off.

5) Ladle into the jars, use a damp paper towel to wipe the rims, and use tongs to place a lid, then the rim on the jar.  Tighten and turn upside down.
Repeat with the remaining jars.


Cover the jars with a kitchen towel and set timer for 15 minutes.
When the time is up.  Check the jars by pushing on the lids.  Actually, as you turn the jars right-side-up, you should hear that "pop" sound which indicates it has sealed.  If the lids can still be pushed up and down, turn them upside down and check again after 5 minutes.
Jam is fun to make and it's so rewarding to do.  Bake popovers, muffins, or just have it with peanut butter on homemade bread.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This is yet another thing I have wanted to do for YEARS and chicken out on. I'm determined this year though because I just finished reading about BPA and all of its negative effects. It makes me want to make everything from scratch. I think I'll start with Jam and tomatoes. That should keep me busy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really...really easy and tastes so much better than store bought.

    ReplyDelete