Friday, April 16, 2010
5 cups crushed strawberries
7 cups sugar
1 pkg. Sure Jell powdered fruit pectin
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. butter
Start by preparing the jars. I put my jars and lids in hot sudsy water. Run your finger around the rim of the glass jar to make sure there aren't any nicks. That would prevent the lid from sealing.
1) Place the fruit in a 6 quart pan. I like to use my Le Creuset because it's cast iron with an enamel finish and it's a nice heavy pan to make jams.
2) Add one package of Sure Jell, the lemon juice, and butter.
3) Bring mixture to a full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat.
4) Stir in sugar quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. remove from heat. You shouldn't have any foam due to the butter, but if you do, skim off.
5) Ladle into the jars, use a damp paper towel to wipe the rims, and use tongs to place a lid, then the rim on the jar. Tighten and turn upside down.
Cover the jars with a kitchen towel and set timer for 15 minutes.