Saturday, April 3, 2010

Rainy Day Potato Leek Soup

What happened to our lovely spring weather?  This weekend that phrase is on everyone's lips here in Seattle.  Oh, I know what you're saying, "It rains every day there!"  Well, no.  That's a horrible myth started by someone who didn't want anyone (on the outside) to realize what a beautiful place this is to live.  But, it is raining this weekend and the leeks looked wonderful at Whole Foods, so a soup is born.

I love soup and could have it every day...even in the summer.  This potato leek soup is my own version and is so simple to make.  The name is somewhat deceiving, though, because I actually use three types of onions; leeks, yellow-skin, and scallions.  Also, this recipe is vegetarian, but you could easily add smoked salmon or crab as a garnish or chicken cut into chunks if you wanted a heartier soup for the meat-lovers in your life.  As my mother would say, "try it...you'll like it."

Potato Leek Soup
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 leeks, white part sliced, and cleaned well
1 bunch scallions, sliced thin (include some of the green)
4 medium potatoes (I used Yukon Gold), cut into cubes
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T unsalted butter
3 T olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
1 T dried dill 
3 cups vegetable broth (or you can use chicken stock)
2 cups half & half
In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter and add olive oil.  Add the yellow onion and saute a few minutes to soften.  Add the leeks and scallions and continue to stir until the onions become translucent.  Add the potatoes and saute a few minutes.  Add the vegetable broth and stir.  Reduce heat to low and cover pot.  Cook about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.  (I stick the point of a knife into them to check).  Remove cover.  Season to taste with salt and pepper, then, add the dill.  Add the half & half and stir well.  Heat another ten minutes being careful not to boil; you don't want to curdle the cream...just heat through.  Serve with a crusty bread and add a salad for a complete meal.  Enjoy!  

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so happy to have your recipe! This is my favorite, favorite kind of soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too! But then, anything with potatoes is at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could eat soup every day---winter, spring, summer or fall!! And potato soup is definitely a favorite of mine. I have never added dill or scallions, however, and I'm anxious to try your version. Libby says this will be really good at our next stitching lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup sounds wonderful! I'm like Barb, can eat soup every day.
    Also want to let you know that I can and do cook! I'm just not a baker, so why should I take away Barb's fun!! Aren't you glad you live so far away!!! Will get the bean recipe to Barb for you. Hope it will convert ok for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to make this!! Potatoes and Leeks! How can you go wrong :)

    ReplyDelete