Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ari's Oatmeal~Peanut Butter Cookies

I remember walking down the path from my grandparent's house, where the bus let us off, to our house and hoping my mother had baked.  More often than not, my hopes were fulfilled.  I've always felt, there's nothing like a home-baked cookie for an after school snack; with a glass of cold milk I'd get to talk about my day with Mom before getting to my homework.

That's the memory that popped into my head when I was deciding on a cookie to send Ari.  When we skype, he's always asking me, "Mimi, what are you baking?" and the next words out of his mouth are, "Will you send me some?"  He and his dad are in Cleveland for a few weeks, so shipping fresh baked goods did not present a problem like it does for packages going to Madrid:-D

I picked up a package of mini Reece's pieces, at the grocery store, and knew Ari would get a kick out of the addition. When I was in Kentucky and picked him up after school, we'd go to Panera and he'd choose one of the cookies with the mini M & M's in it.  I loved watching him, maneuvering to get the most candy out of each bite and thought, these were be just as intriguing.
Ari's Oatmeal~Peanut Butter Cookies
3/4 cup (12 T) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup shortening
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2/3 cup peanut butter (Smooth or Crunchy...I used crunchy)
1 T Vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
3 cups Old-fashioned Oatmeal
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 pkg. (10 oz) Reese's Mini Baking Chips

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter, shortening, and sugars until fluffy.  Add the Vanilla and peanut butter and beat again.  Scrape down sides.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.  Add the dry ingredients and mix on medium just until combined.  Stir in the package of baking chips.
Use a  1/4-cup scoop, drop dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheets, allowing 2 inches between for spreading.
Bake 6 minutes, then, rotate pan and bake another 6 minutes until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
 These cookies are crunchy and wholesome with the oatmeal and peanut butter--combining two of my favorite cookies into one!  I packaged them up in these great bags I get from Specialty Packaging.
 I can't wait to Skype with Ari and hear the delight over home baked cookies from Mimi--Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. We just baked some, too. Ours have bacon in them. Happy Sunday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!! I will try these soon. How nice for Ari!
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, those look good! Ari is so lucky to have you for a grandma!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! And they sound great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies look really yummy! Adding the peanut butter flavor to an oatmeal cookie is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. peanut butter everything is my favorite and these look wonderful. to put them over the top, I think I'll add bits of high end dark chocolate chunks.

    swoon!

    ReplyDelete