Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cardamon~Nectarine Tea Cakes

I couldn't ask for a more perfect day than what we're having here in the Pacific Northwest--75 degrees, sunny and no humidity!  Okay, I got that off my chest and didn't mean to rub it in to all of you who are having squelching temperatures, but when we get these days, well, we just have to rejoice.

So, I rejoiced with making a recipe incorporating one of my favorite summer fruits--the nectarine.
It is a cultivar of a peach and some might call them, a fuzzy-less peach or shaven peach.  When I was growing up, my grandfather told me they were a crossbred of peaches and plums.  However, when I researched their history, I discovered that genetic studies have concluded that nectarines are created due to a "recessive allele" which gives them their smooth skin.  They are usually smaller than a peach and because of their lack of "fuzz" have a reddish/golden skin color.

My mother use to make a sweet yeast dough with slices of nectarines or peaches on top (like a sweet pizza) as a treat during the summer, but I chose a quick version making mine into tea cakes.  I decided to bake them in my mini bundt pan, but this recipe would make one 9"x5" loaf if you prefer.

Cardamon~Nectarine Tea Cakes
10 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 oz. cream cheese
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 medium nectarines, washed, dried and grated on the coarse side of a box grater
1/2 tsp. Peach flavoring
1 tsp. ground cardamon
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Spray a 6-cup mini bundt pan (or loaf pan) with a non-stick baking spray or brush with melted butter. 

Grate the two nectarines on a box grater, using the coarse side.
You should get about 1 cup of grated fruit.  In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and cream cheese together.  Add the sugar and continue beating until fluffy.  Add the Peach flavoring, Vanilla extract and cardamon and mix well.  

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.  Add the grated nectarine and mix again to incorporate.

Mix the dry ingredients together and add to the batter.  Mix on medium speed, just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Scoop the mixture into the mini bundt pan or loaf pan.  
Bake mini bundts about 22-24 minutes, until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out cleanly.  Bake a loaf pan about 45 to 50 minutes, again checking the center to see if it's done.

Glaze: 
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 T light Karo syrup
3 -4 T hot water

Mix the glaze ingredients and stir until smooth.  Pour over the inverted cakes, if desired. 
(Optional-dust with confectioners' sugar before serving if you don't want a glaze)

The flavor of this tea cake was just what I needed to celebrate a beautiful day.  Something a little different (not raining) and reminding me how lucky we are to have such beautiful fruits to choose. Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Wow, you seem to have ingredients I've never heard of in your neck of the woods..not the nectarine...I know what they are hehehe!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to thank KAF for that...they have a catalogue of great ingredients and gadgets that really inspire my passion. XOXO

      Delete
  2. I must say you make the prettiest desserts! I'm positive they taste as good as they look too!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concensus today from hubby and his staff was YES!!

      Delete
  3. What absolutely adorable little tea cakes! And you grated the nectaines---very interesting! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan I am making a list of all the things I need to pick up at King Arthur Flour next month! I do need to make sure I can carry or pack them safely on the airplane.
    I must make these wonderful teacakes! Perfect for an afternoon tea party. Love all the fruits we have available to us. The farmer's markets are brimming with all kinds of inspiration.
    Thanks again for a winner, dear friend! xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Ellen, I can just imagine these with plums or peaches. Oh, I'm so envious you're going to see the new baking center and store before I get to KAF in the Fall; bring an extra suitcase or do like I did, have them ship it home to you.
      Tea parties are a personal thing for me because they bring back the most precious memory of Kelly taking me to tea before she started her chemo...I still have the menu card that was at the table. We'll definitely do a Tea Party at Camp Mimi's when the grands come in July<3

      Delete
  5. Well this is just the perfect little summer dessert.
    I will be trying these out for sure.
    Tracy P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a delightful taste and just the right amount of sweetness--you're right, the perfect summer dessert!

      Delete
  6. Okay, so...1. I covet your pantry. Especially all those little bottles of flavorings. Seriously. 2. Karo in the glaze? I swear I learn something from you every-single-day. 3. You will be proud of me that I ~finally~ own cardamon. Yes, I did it. A whole bottle. From CostPlus. ;) 4. Grading the nectarines...Just like zucchini and WHY didn't I think of that? 5. Mini bundts solve all sorts of portion control issues in my life presently. 6. I could go on, but you are my baking hero! Lv, me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cheeks are blushing like the color of these nectarines! My girls always said...I'm prepared for anything and can't believe the ingredients I stock.
      I keep telling you we should have a bakery together; can't you imagine the fun and creativity that will spew from our ovens;-D Love you, Me

      Delete
  7. Nectarines are my favourite summer fruit - I much prefer them to peaches. I'm also amazed by the ingredients you have in your pantry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, I love nectarines too, but my grandfather made a "helleva" great peach ice cream...the old fashioned way with rock salt and a lot of churning! XOXO

      Delete
  8. these sound like delious little cakes. great idea to grate the fruit.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't work on all fruits, but definitely gave a wonderful flavor without having mushy fruit chunks. Happy 4th of July to you and the old stamping gang!! XOXO

      Delete
  9. well goodness gracious susan, these have to be the cutest little cakes i've ever seen. i am also impressed by all the specialty ingrediants you use. i didn't know there were flavorings like that. are these your own recipes? i think you need to make a book. :)

    p.s. peach ice cream? oh my my, i need some of that too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori ann...yes, these are my own recipes and maybe one day, I'll do a book, but for now, I just enjoy sharing my memories (and experiments) with all of you.
      Admittedly, I'm a bit over the top with trying new ingredients and probably have more gadgets than Williams-Sonoma!
      When I close my eyes, I can still taste the fresh peach ice cream my grandparents would make--the best.

      Delete