Monday, June 18, 2012

Easy Linzer Cookies

A Linzer Torte is a Austrian dessert named for the city Linz and is one of the oldest recipes in the world.  It's a holiday classic in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and Hungary.  I've not only made the torte, but last Christmas, I made a cookie bar in honor of this delicious combination.  Raspberry jam, hazelnuts, lemon and cinnamon are the flavors most associated with the torte and I kept that in mind when I baked this easy version.
However, instead of the usual raspberry jam, I decided to substitute a product I found in the King Arthur Flour Catalogue, jammy bits.  I've used them before in cookies and muffins, so I thought they'd be the perfect--and I was right!  Normally, I've told my daughters if you don't have an ingredient, don't make that recipe; in this case it's the exception to my rule.

Easy Linzer Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
1/3 + 2 T granulated sugar
2 large eggs
zest of one lemon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup + 1 T ground hazelnuts (or hazelnut flour)
2 1/4 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 cup Raspberry Jammy Bits
3/4 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.

In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars thoroughly.  Add the lemon zest, vanilla extract and cinnamon and beat again.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl between additions.

Add the ground hazelnuts along with the rest of the dry ingredients and mix to combine on medium speed.
Stir in the chopped hazelnuts and raspberry jammy bits.  Use a 1/4-cup scoop to measure up the dough and place it on the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes, rotating the pan half-way through the baking time.  Remove from the oven and use a "meat mallet" and press the design into the warm cookies.

I did this because the usual design in a Linzer Torte is made by creating a "lattice" pattern with the dough.  If you don't have a meat mallet, you could use a fork to "cross hatch" a design close to this.

Allow the cookies to cool about 5 minutes, then remove them to a rack to cool completely.  The recipe makes about 25 3-inch cookies.
The day started off grey and rainy off and on, but warm cookies and a nice cup of tea or as in my sister's case, coffee at 3 p.m., would brighten any dreary day.  Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. Yummy!!!
    I already roasted almonds to bake 5 Linzertorten this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your post with the Linzertorten! When the raspberries come in and I make up my jam for the season, it's one of my favorites to bake in the Fall and for the holiday! XOXO

      Delete
  2. They do sound delicious, but what I am really excited about is that clever idea of marking the design with the meat mallet. So simple, but I would never have thought of it. Thank you, Susan.xx
    PS. Do you happen to have a really good scone recipe? Our village show is coming up in August and there is always a lot of competition for that particular class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, if you click on "Scones," up in the Labels section, it will take you to some of my recipes. I actually have my great grandmother's recipe that I swear by. XOXO

      Delete
    2. ...also, you can type in "scones" in the upper left box (my search engine) and it will take you to all the scones I've done.

      Delete
    3. Hello Susan, With your permission, then, I would love to enter a batch of your great grandmother's scones. I read the recipe through a little earlier and it called for 'Half and half' - is that half milk, half cream? Thanks Susan, I shall get practising making them in order to do them justice.xx

      Delete
    4. Yes Elaine, it's half milk and half cream. I know you will--you have the magic!

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of 'jammy bits'.....who knew?!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I've found the best ingredients for my recipe inspirations at King Arthur Flour! XOXO

      Delete
  4. Those look so good! I could just eat one with my cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and, Scarlet, I'm wishing you were here (or I was there) to share these!

      Delete
  5. Next time we go to visit our daughter in New England, I must take time to go over to Norwich to the King Arthur Flour Store and stock up on goodies. They have just finished their expansion, and I can't wait to see it.
    Your Linzer cookies look like winners for sure! Love the fact you used a tenderizer to do the cross hatching. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes!
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to go in September if I get my work done;-) The new expansion looks exciting and Norwich is such a lovely town and right across the river from Dartmouth, which is also nice to visit.
      Sleepless nights have my brain working overtime and I'm happy you like this creation; they really were quite remarkable! XOXO

      Delete
  6. My Dear friend

    Thank you so very much for your kind words and I know I have been in your thoughts~ I can always come here and feel like I am in your kitchen . These tasty cookies look good. I am excited too as I can get your raspberry dried bits here...but by another name. I find we bake allot in Winter. I hope you are well my friend and by the look of it very busy!~

    Love you
    Suzanne
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest friend, yes, life is busy, but I'm so looking forward to having the grands here the end of July. That will be fun week of posting baking, nature walks, crafting, and in general...silly fun! Love you, Susan

      Delete