Friday, June 15, 2012

I'll Have S'Mores Cupcakes

Today, I was invited to an impromptu lunch for a friend who is relocating to Texas and I thought, what I could bring as a dessert that would be meaningful. I have recipes for Texas Sheet Cake, but I imagine she'll get that a lot once she moves, so I decided on taking a classic, that brought back memories for me.  S'mores are those wonderful treats that we've all done around campfires, where we take graham crackers, a Hershey's chocolate bar, and toasted marshmallows and put them together to create an ooey-gooey dessert that brings a smile.  While we were eating these wonderful creations and licking our fingers, we would tell stories, catch up on "gossip" and just reminisce about the day. Great Memory!

S'mores (from the phrase "some more") dates back to a publication "Tramping & Trailing with the Girl Scouts in 1927.  It's not clear if they were they ones who invented this campfire treat, but certainly the first to publicize it.  To be exact, Loretta Scott Crew was the first one to make them by the campfire for the Girl Scouts.  I know I've eaten my share!

S'mores Cupcakes
Graham Cracker Layer:
1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
3 T unsalted butter, melted

Pour the melted butter over the graham crackers and use a fork to mix.

Measure a hefty tablespoon full and place in the bottom of a 24 paper-lined muffin pan(s).  I used a pastry tamper to press it down, but if you don't have one, use a small juice glass.

 Set aside.  Preheat oven to 350F-degrees and mix up the chocolate batter for the cupcakes.


Chocolate Batter:
10 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar together until fluffy, about 5 to 6 minutes.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.  Add the sour cream and the vanilla and beat to combine.

1 1/4 cups boiling water
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
1 tsp. espresso powder

In a medium bowl, add the chocolate chips, cocoa and espresso powder.  Slowly add the boiling water and stir to combine until the chips are melted.

 1 1/2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt

In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients and use a whisk to combine.  Add to the batter, alternately with the chocolate mixture.  Beat well and scrape down sides as needed.
Measure out the batter onto the graham cracker layer, filling up to almost the top of the paper.
Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes until the tops spring back when touched lightly.  Don't over bake.  Remove from the oven and cool in the pan(s) for about 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Frosting:
1 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (about 10 oz.)
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 light Karo syrup
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
18 T (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

Marshmallow Filling:
about 1/2 bag of regular size marshmallows, melted over low heat 


Garnish:
3 or 4 graham crackers, cut into strips
48 miniature marshmallows, toasted

In a small sauce pan, heat the heavy cream and Karo syrup until bubbles appear around the edges.  Place the chocolate chips in a food processor and while the machine is running, pour the heated heavy cream/Karo syrup through the feed tube and run the machine until the chocolate has melted.  Add the confectioners' sugar and pulse a few times to incorporate, then, while the machine is running add the butter in pieces and continue to run until completely combined.  I scraped the mixture into another bowl, put some plastic wrap over it and refrigerate about an hour to chill.  It will thicken.


 While that is chilling, make the garnishes.  I sliced graham crackers into long strips by using a serrated knife and with a "sawing" motion.

I wanted to fill the centers, so I melted some marshmallows and scooped the mixture into the cupcakes that I had made a hole for with an apple corer.



I placed the cupcake "plug" over the filling, then piped the frosting with #804 tip.
I placed a graham cracker "stick" on top and then, using a small kitchen torch, roasting miniature marshmallows on a toothpick and placed them near it.

(Don't try to toast the marshmallows once they're on the frosting or you will melt your frosting!)

It's always hard to say good bye to friends when they're moving, but somehow, the closeness we shared today didn't make it as sad.  Enjoy!

 


19 comments:

  1. Wow! So, I guess the s'mores I've been sneaking this last week just, well, will pale in comparison. I've been roasting mine over the gas burner. ;) These look lovely and sound so good and gooey and yummy! I have cupcakes in the oven, too!! Have a great weekend, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I toasted a few marshmallows over the gas stove too--Nothing like a marshmallow on fire:-D!!
      Can't wait to see what you're up to. Have a great weekend too; looks like we're having rain...SURPRISE! XOXO

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful treat and the key to unlocking many memories. I have often read of Graham Crackers and wondered about them, now I know what they look like!

    We didn't have S'mores, but talk of camp fires brought back some happy memories of my days as a young Brownie, and the fun we had while striving to "Do my best, to love my God, To Serve the Queen and my country, To help other people and to keep the Brownie Law"! Sweet days, meeting challenges and having fun while 'helping' people!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a girl scout until my best friend joined 4-H and then I switched--just a country girl at heart and I loved learning about the animals and gardening.

      Delete
  3. Those look delicious. It took me until I was 45 to taste a marshmallow toasted over a campfire! Happy memories of a fabulous holiday - thanks for bringing back those memories with another amazing bake. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toasted marshmallows are just a part of any picnic here and if you have the grahams & chocolate for s'mores--even better! I wish we could all gather for a big potluck and share memories where the recipes come from. XOXO

      Delete
  4. this is incredible, you are an artist susan. those look better than anything i've seen in any bakery around here (and we have some lovely bakeries!) and i bet their twice as delicious!
    i hope you stay in contact with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind! I have "delusions" of going on Cupcake Wars with some of my creations, but then I come to my senses;-) I do stay in touch with many of those friends, especially my best friend, Diana, whom I've known since 1st grade--distance doesn't seem to matter when you have a friend you can count on, and for me, she's one of them!

      Delete
  5. These just made my day! I am a huge fan of s'mores (see here...http://inherchucks.com/2012/05/19/smores-rice-krispie-treats/...and here...http://inherchucks.com/2011/10/18/want-smore/). I can't wait to try these! Thanks for sharing: )

    I found you through Sweets for a Saturday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, that combination is a favorite of mine too. Love the idea of rice krispie treat s'mores! Thank you for stopping by and guess what--you've just enter the Give-Away for June's apron! XOXO

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh! I want to lick my computer screen these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your s'more cupcakes! Very creative Susan. We have a chiminea on our patio- our grandchildren love to make s'mores in
    it! Nothing like sitting around a fire and enjoying the outdoors.
    Have a great weekend.
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I know we'll do them when the grands arrive in July for "Camp Mimi's!" XOXO

      Delete
  8. Susan,
    We have a big fire and roast marshmallows and make smores everytime we take the kids down to mom & dad's (Diana & Fred's). It started a few years ago when Adam wanted to go camping, it was already late fall and fairly cold. The kids helped Dad pick up all of the fallen limbs/sticks around the farm, we all had such a great time that now it's what we look forward to the most! These cupackes look amazing!!!! You are so talented! What creativity!!!
    Love,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we can do it next weekend when I come back east for Maddie's recital! Hope we can get together<3

      Delete
  9. I just have to try these! So many yummy treats turning up on peoples blogs this weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking certainly grounds me when I'm feeling stressed and brings me back to a quieter place with memories. Love that you found my blog, Rose...now you're enter for the apron as well!

      Delete
    2. Only thing that stumps me is where I can get Grahams crackers in england ... or what makes a good alternative?! My family would be chuffed to bits if I had these ready when they returned from school and work! When I get the time to really cook from my heart rather than just churning out meals everyone will eat I feel that grounding and peace too, it's a good feeling! Much love x

      Delete