Saturday, May 6, 2017

Rainbow Sprinkle Bread with Birthday Cake Crumb Topping

Sprinkles or "jimmies" which we know today, but nonpareils, the beginning of these forms, have been around since the 18th century.  Kids love sprinkles.  I know because it's the topping of choice when my grands are here visiting.  My own love for sprinkles did start with my obsession to nonpareils that my mom would buy at the candy store.  I love letting the chocolate melt in my mouth and still have a confection to crunch!

A few weeks ago I made my own sprinkles, but this time the recipe from bake FROM SCRATCH magazine called for using Betty Crocker's Rainbow Sprinkles because they don't bleed when stirred into batter.  Since I love sprinkles, it was a must try and I have to say it did not disappoint.

Rainbow Sprinkles Bread with Birthday Cake Crumb Topping

1 cup (2 sticks) (227g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar
4 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
1 T (13g) Vanilla extract
2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. (1.5g) Kosher salt
1/3 cup (60g) Rainbow Sprinkles

Birthday Cake Crumb Topping:

1/4 cup (31g) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
2 T (28g) cold, unsalted butter, cubed
1/3 cup (60g) Rainbow Sprinkles
1/2 tsp. (2g) Vanilla extract

Stir the flour, sugar and salt together.  Use a pastry blender to cut in the cubed butter.  Add the sprinkles and vanilla extract and stir to combine.


Preheat oven to 325F-degrees (170C-degrees).  Spray a 9" x 5" loaf pan with baking spray with flour. Line with parchment paper, letting excess extend over the sides of the pan.  Spray again.

In a bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.  With the mixer running, add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in the vanilla.


On low speed, gradually add the flour/salt to this mixture, beating just until combined.  Stir in the rainbow sprinkles.  Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.  Sprinkle the crumb topping over the surface.  Bake until golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly--1hour/10 minutes (mine actually took 1 hour/25 minutes), but start it on the shorter time and check yours.  Let cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes before removing.
The excess parchment paper helps to lift the bread and transfer to a serving plate.  Store in an airtight container for 3 days...if it lasts that long! Enjoy!

I posted a card this past week, on my paper blog, in memory of our daughter Kelly.  It will be 7 years ago she passed away from invasive breast cancer.


The stamps I used, with my hydrangea die, are by Ellen Hutson, LLC.  If you're interested in this set, they're available with half the cost going to Breast Cancer Research; a project dear to my heart to find a cure.
Too many women, in fact, 1 in 12 will be diagnosed with this disease in their lifetime.  We need to keep fighting, especially if women maybe losing their health care if Trumpcare passes!

18 comments:

  1. My friend Carter loves sprinkles so this would be an awesome gift for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looking sprinkle cake, Susan. My grands would love this I'm sure.
    Health care in our country is a mess. It's so sad for those that can't afford insurance. When are we going to wake up? Other countries have it figured out.
    Your card is a beautiful tribute to your dear Kelly. Love to you, my friend. xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you dear friend. Watching Kelly and her husband go through the ridiculous prices of chemo only to succumb to liver failure due to this treatment makes me mad. No family should have to decide whether to lose their home or have treatment!! I praying the Senate sets them straight, but I think our best efforts are our own voices!

      Delete
  3. My kind of cake! I never met a rainbow sprinkle that didn't melt though, and when putting them on top of English Trifle wait until right before serving or it just gets messy melting into the cream.
    You made a beautiful card tribute to your dearest Kelly.
    ~~~Deb in Wales xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on rainbow sprinkles! I will be in the UK telly on May 29, 30, and 31st. Looking forward to visiting again, XOXO

      Delete
  4. Those sprinkles and streusel make this quick bread even more inviting! The card looks beautiful, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super fun, my friend! I love that topping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really a very festive cake! My grandkids would love it! I will save this for the future to make!
    I want to say how much I love the Apron you made and sent me last week! It is beautiful and I will enjoy it and bake and cook in my kitchen with such a pretty apron on!
    And I am so glad to have you come visit my blog also!
    Thank YOU... Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy we're connected too! Have fun baking with your grands, XOXO

      Delete
  7. What a pretty, and festive bread, Susan.
    The card in memory of your Beloved Kelly has such a tender sentiment, and a beautiful design. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fun bread! and wonderful card with the stamp proceeds going to breast cancer.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I noticed this recipe doesn't call for baking soda? What is the leavening agent so the bread rises?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making this now, but no baking powder or baking soda. It doesn't look like it is rising in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet way to end the night! Our Petite Cakes are just as exquisite as our signature cakes, but smaller. Each has a creamy layer of ice cream and comes in a variety of choices. bakery springdale ar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Rainbow Sprinkle Bread with Birthday Cake Crumb Topping is looks very delicious. I think this is a perfect snack for a birthday bash. I will throw a fun party at some local Seattle venues for my daughter’s birthday and would love to make this. If you have more recipes for easy snacks, please share here.

    ReplyDelete