Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Black & White Chocolate Pumpkin Doughnuts

 
Today is a special day in our family--our daughter, Kelly's best friend, Kandyce's birthday.  From the day they first met in 7th grade at LaReina High School, they were inseparable; even miles couldn't break their bond.
Happy Birthday to my sweet girls!
Kandyce is a part of our hearts too and knowing how much our girls would have loved to be celebrating their 40th birthday together brings some sadness, but it's also a day to rejoice that Kandyce and her lovely family came into our lives.

I created this Black & White doughnut recipe because of a memory of the two of them one Halloween; the costume(s) they came up with was Salt & Pepper Shakers!  Kelly was pepper and Kandyce was salt, but all day long at school everyone asked them why they didn't do it the other way.  Kelly's answer, "what do you mean!"

So, here's the first (of many) give-aways this month to celebrate Kelly's generous nature...
...a doughnut pan to bake this recipe or your favorite.

Black & White Chocolate Pumpkin Doughnuts
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree'
2 large eggs
1/3 + 1 T sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa
1 1/2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt

White Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 T very hot water
2 T Karo light syrup

Black Glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
2 T Karo light syrup
3 - 4 T hot water

Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Spray doughnut pan with a baking spray and set aside.
In a bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together thoroughly.  Add the pumpkin and mix to combine.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Add the dry ingredients and mix on low just to combine.  Add the sour cream and mix again.  

Use a 3 Tablespoon scoop to measure the batter into the doughnut pan openings.  

Bake 13 to 15 minutes.  Test by pressing the tops of the doughnuts with your index/middle fingers.

Let cool 5 minutes then invert pan onto a rack to cool completely.

Mix up the White Glaze first.  
Use a small off-set spatula to spread the glaze on half of the doughnut.  While this glaze is setting, mix up the Black Glaze.
 Use the off-set spatula to spread on the other side.  Place the doughnuts on the rack to set.
To be eligible for the doughnut pan, just comment on this post or any others I do between now and October 8th--Kelly's birthday when a name will be drawn.  Enjoy!

   

32 comments:

  1. My Dear friend

    So nice to see your message. I have come and gone over the last while but so good to pop back here. I hope you are well...Kelly's bond with her sister friend is so clear. Its still so hard isn't it. These last couple of months have been very tough for our family after Matthew passed away. I think healing takes the time its going to take..I often think of you my friend. Those doughnuts look heavenly..might I give the giveaway a go~ Happy Birthday Kandyce..Will be thinking of you Susan on the 8th.

    Love you
    Suzanne
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be a wonderful addition to the Twinkie Pan:-D XOXO

      Delete
  2. Oh, those look so good, Susan. Nice post, too. Precious friends are very, very special.

    Thanks for all your visits and comments on my blog, too. Love when you stop by. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always such a nice visit--wish we could just pop in and have tea together, XOXO

      Delete
  3. OMG, those doughnuts look delicious..I didn't know about the doughnut pan, what a great invention...but then again, I have an utter weakness for doughnuts..Friends are the greatest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We share that weakness! I'm just happy that baking them does take some of the calories out:-D

      Delete
  4. I have never tried making homemade doughnuts! I love anything and everything pumpkin so I would love to win this pan and make this recipe! So sweet of you to celebrate friendship with yummy goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly pushed me to start this blog and actually set it up! I feel like she's given me a circle of friends that I can share my love of baking and my cherished memories with. XOXO

      Delete
  5. What a lovely memory. And amazing that the girls' birthdays were so close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only gave birth to two daughters, but honestly feel like I gained so many more with the friendships both my girls brought into our lives. Kandyce is definitely one of them and I should mention, a beautiful mother to nine...3 girls, 6 boys!

      Delete
    2. Wow! That's really unusual in this day and age. My older daughter has 3 (1 girl, 2 boys) and it seems like a lot.

      Delete
  6. These look sooooo goooood! I love the story and the idea of the donuts. There's that pumpkin and chocolate combo again...I really need to explore that combo more. But, what booze? ;) I just got 2 of those pans this week. Belated bday presents. Seeing all the donuts being created just pushed me over that "do you really need another specialty baking pan???" edge. A good edge from which to be be pushed! Lv, me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to chocolate and pumpkin, you could always use some Godiva liqueur:-D It is a wonderful combination that both flavors "play well" together! I keep saying I'm going to buy a second pan since none of my recipes just make 6! What a lovely birthday present...and I didn't know it was your birthday!! I do miss that not being on FB anymore:-(

      Delete
    2. ...and you're up early too! Have a wonderful day, dear friend, XOXO

      Delete
    3. :) I can't wait to use my pans! I actually got 2 because of what you suggested on your pumpkin donuts post. And, I don't do the FB bday notification thing. Kinda keep it on the down low these days, too. Up every day at 5am, my dear friend! :) Just too bad I wasn't home baking...What do you think about pistachio and orange? Or, pistachio and rum?

      Delete
    4. Yum! I'm a pistachio fan, big time! We need to have a bakery together; don't you think??

      Delete
    5. Agreed, but I'd have to retire first! :) Lv, me

      Delete
  7. Susan I love the salt and pepper story! What a special daughter you raised in Kelly. Don't enter me in the giveaway as I had to buy those pans after your last pumpkin donut recipe! These look wonderful and when I make them I will think of your lovely daughter. xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to Kandyce!
    These are some gorgeous birthday doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful story of friendship and love to accompany the doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely perfect :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto, dear daughter! Only wish we lived closer so you I could have brought these over for the "crew" to have. I hope you had a lovely day and know how thankful we are that Kelly brought you into our lives. XOXO

      Delete
  11. What a fun story! And the doughnuts look fantastic. I love pumpkin goodies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love when food evokes memory. These are amazing donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Salt & pepper shaker costumes sound like so much fun! It is good to have a close friend like that. I'm sure they cherished each other.
    Pumpkin dounuts! yum! during this season I like to stop by DD to get a pumpkin dounut or muffin.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a special friendship. I'm so glad that Kandyce came into your lives through Kelly. Sending lots of love and ladybug hugs your way this month and always. xoxox

    PS -- those donuts look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your stories of Kelly with us! I think she must be pleased that you've remained close to her friend Kandyce.
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thoroughly enjoyed reading about the two girls and their wonderful friendship. Seems like it was meant to be considering their birthdays are so close too! Many could learn alot from such a friendship!
    Your doughnuts look scrumptious of course!

    Many thanks for your comments on my latest post.Good to hear you understand what the need for yarn is about. :-)

    keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, a doughnut baking pan!!! Things I have never seen before! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hit "send" before I was finished! Anyway, lovely that Kandyce is in your life. I have a friend who died in 2007 at the age of 42. She was my "oldest" friend, as in we'd been buddies since grade 3/4. I still keep in touch with her parents and I think of her regularly. she was just year younger than me and it's hard to believe she's gone. I like to think her parents take some comfort from knowing how much their daughter meant to me. :)

      Delete
  18. Hoping time eases your pain. Glad you have some special memories. Birthdays are hard. I haven' t lost a child but have lost both parents and a brother, so a child would really be hard no matter the age.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a special story behind these great-looking donuts :)

    ReplyDelete