Saturday, October 27, 2012

Gingerbread Doughnuts & Ghostly Holes

Doughnuts have been a part of my Halloween treats ever since I got married.  Before our girls were born, we'd invite family and friends over for a buffet and in addition to caramel apples, sugar cookie ghosts and black cats, doughnuts were the highlight of my baking for the dessert table.  Yeast doughnuts back then were my favorite, but over the years, I've become a cake doughnut lover, especially since they can be baked.

Gingerbread was on my mind after spending a couple of hours Skyping with my grandson yesterday.  Lately, both he and Maddie want me to tell them "haunted" stories with dark forests and Trolls, and how magically we get to the castle in the meadow.
Coming to the forest edge, Princess Maddie and Spiderman Ari called out to the troll that they want to enter. "What can we give you to let us pass through?" The big, green Troll answers, "What have you baked today?"  They tell him, "we have gingerbread doughnuts!"  "Yum...you can come through the forest if you give me some."

 A pathway appears and the two find there way back to the castle...Mimi's house!  The end.
The house smelled just wonderful with the spices and molasses; drawing in any Trick or Treaters around.  The new pan I bought makes the most yummy holes, Maddie's favorites.  These are rolled in confectioners' sugar, but cinnamon/sugar or even a glaze would be awesome too.

Doughnut holes or Cake Pops can be made in this pan
Gingerbread Doughnuts & Ghostly Holes
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
1/4 cup hot water
3/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cardamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 3/4 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 325F-degrees.  Spray doughnut pan and round ball pan with baking spray.  If you don't have either, you can use a miniature muffin pan.
Heat the water and molasses in a 2 cup measure in the microwave for 40 seconds.  Pour over the softened butter  in a bowl of a stand mixer.  Using the paddle attachment mix on low to combine. 
Add the egg and sugar and mix again--don't worry if it looks curdled.

Add the spices, flour, baking soda and salt with the buttermilk and mix on low.  Remove from the stand mixer and use a spatula to combine it thoroughly; you don't want to overmix.

Use a small scoop to measure batter in the round ball pan and a larger one for the doughnut pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 13 - 15 minutes, testing with a wooden skewer to check for doneness.
Allow to cool.  For the doughnut holes, I melted 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter and place about 1 cup confectioners' in another bowl.  Dip the holes in the butter, then, roll in the confectioners' sugar.

For the larger doughnuts, I mixed up my standard glaze: 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, 1 T Light Karo syrup, 2-3 tablespoons of hot water and 1/2 tsp. Orange Juice Powder.
Dip the doughnuts in the glaze and spread with an off-set spatula.  Sprinkle with colored sugar.
Wouldn't these be nice on a stormy night with a mug of hot chocolate...I bet the Troll would love that too! Enjoy!!

(BTW--On Monday, I will be drawing the name for the October Give-Away because I will be flying out on Tuesday to visit my grandson. )

27 comments:

  1. Gingerbread donuts? That sounds so good. I looooooove donuts. Makes me want to start a Halloween tradition...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a gal after my own heart! Doughnuts rock:-D

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm....mmmmmmm! Great story, too. Love the photos of the forest. Happy Halloween, and have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a corny story, but the grands love made-up ones with all the scary stuff. That happens to be my front yard and when they were both here in the summer they pretended it was the haunted forest:-D Happy Halloween and stay safe, my friend, during this storm, XOXO

      Delete
  3. I have the donut pans now...Just need to find the time to try these out. These look so yummy, of course, Susan. My moring coffee seems so lonely without a few of these...Lv, me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life is so hectic now too! I had dreams of hitting my 500th post this year, but with over 40 to go and my workload, probably not:-( You're welcome, anytime to pop in and even though I don't drink coffee, my hubby said they were perfect with his first cup, XOXO

      Delete
  4. Cute story and adorable picture of you with Ari and Maddie. I know the Gingerbread Doughnuts would be scrumptious---I love gingerbread!! (And since I have the mini doughnut pan, I can eat twice as many!) Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I figured with the doughnut holes!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Susan - mmm, these doughnuts look scrumpdillyishus. Loved this post and will file the recipes. I have heard of combing gloves and actually used one. Audrey loves the soft brush on her fur but she will bite just to start playing rough. She loves that and doesn't realize that it hurts. She will learn as she grows, I hope. Have a nice Sunday and do try the banana bread cookies. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already printed off, Deb! We're rainy here too, but not like what my family (and friends) will be experiencing. I'm keeping good thoughts for everyone to be safe, XOXO

      Delete
  6. I also love to make up stories with my grands--we do the make up as we go along style. I start the story and then each child takes a turn adding to the story. It gets quite crazy sometimes! They love it. Enjoy your time with your grandson and take those wonderful donuts with you! xoxo♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those doughnuts are so good, I don't think they'll be any left to take...we'll have to make some there. Take care, XOXO

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of baking the donuts!I saw a pan like that at my local kitchen shop for the cake balls... may have to splurge and try it out!
    Love your beautiful forest! The ferns and shade plants are some of my faves! Fun story with the grands!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always felt like we live in a park...it's what drew me to this property. Although, the Falls are a lot of work with raking!

      Delete
  8. These gingerbread doughnuts are perfect for the X'mas baking. They are so pretty with coloured sugar topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they'd be great for part of the Christmas morning treats while opening packages, XOXO

      Delete
  9. Thank goodness for Skype! We are so fortunate to be able to keep in touch that way...I can imagine the fun you have telling those stories and the delight of your grandchildren. Cake doughnuts - now that is something new for us to try. I loved the photographs of the trolls forest and your lovely grandchildren.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With that and FaceTime, we can stay connected with our grands so far away. Ari and I skyped last week for 3 hours!! It's, "draw this for me Mimi...tell me a story...what are you baking, etc." I love the time with them; even if it's thousands of miles away:-))

      Delete
  10. Oh those look sooooooooo good. Do you bake every day?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do...I'm thinking about entering The Betty Ford Clinic for my obsession--LOL!!

      Delete
  11. wow!!! they look fabulous! my kids would love everything about those donuts. yum. thanks you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie and I love doughnut holes and these were perfect. XOXO

      Delete
  12. Hi Susan!!!!
    I like your blog!!!!!!!!!
    Have a nice week!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by...I love having new blogs to visit, XOXO

      Delete
  13. Craving doughnuts now. They look delicious.
    What a blessing to be able to Skype.

    Susan, I was making a map of the apron's travels, including the apron maker ;), but I can't find where you're from. If you don't mind, would you please stop by the shop and drop me a line?
    Thx so much.
    XOXO's,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! The doughnuts look so good! I know they taste delicious!
    They would be great on a cold winter day.
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. The gingerbread donuts sound great-a perfect treat for the holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete