Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Brussels--Homemade Version

I am my mother's daughter and as much as I love the flavors of Fall--pumpkin, cranberries and apples, I still think chocolate is the best comfort food there is.  If you know your cookies, Brussels is one that is made by Pepperidge Farms.  I go by the rule, if I want a cookie, but I don't feel like baking, then, the only cookie brand I will buy is Pepperidge Farms:-))

When I lived in Connecticut, the Pepperidge Farms' factory was in the next town over from us and believe me, the aroma was wonderful.  Brussels, along with Milanos are my weakness, so when I came across this recipe, by one of my favorite cookbook authors, I had to make them.

Lara Ferroni's last book I bought was Doughnuts, Simple and Delicious Recipes to Make at Home.

She has a new book that will be out later this month called Real Snacks, Make Your Favorite Childhood Treats Without all the Junk!
These are not only outrageously good, but healthy too...if that's possible for this decadent treat.

Homemade Brussels
 (Click on the title for the recipe!)
Oat Bran, along with White/Whole Wheat flour
The dough is soft and somewhat sticky
Use a scoop that will give you a 1-inch ball
Place about 2-inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet
Bake for 12 minutes.  Allow to cool, then spread with a filling of bittersweet chocolate with 1 Tablespoon of heavy cream
Sandwich the cookie with a "like" size
The cookies tasted wonderful and I'm thinking these will definitely be a part of my Cookie Boxes for Christmas.  Enjoy!

25 comments:

  1. Oh.my.goodness.

    I love Brussels! These are going straight on the must-make list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found a Soul-Sister with good taste!! So easy and I can tell you, after eating about 6, they are delicious:-D

      Delete
  2. So easy to veganise....of course I will have to make several different flavour batches to see which one is my favourite!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying them with a little orange zest in one batch and mint flavoring in the chocolate filling for the another. It would be pretty easy to make them vegan since they already start with not having any eggs, so you're just substituting the butter in the batter and heavy cream in the filling. But, I guarantee they'll be a hit!

      Delete
  3. The "Brussels" that you sent me were delicious and I'm delighted to know that they will be in your Christmas box!!! Yum!
    I have Lara Ferroni's doughnut cook book and have preordered her new snack book---it looked way too enticing to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxiously awaiting my copy too! These are definitely going to be in "The Box!" XOXO

      Delete
  4. Now you know I'm not a chocolate lover but I, too like Brussels cookies also their chessman cookies....yum!
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky enough to be near the manufacturing plant:-)) My family accuses me of hiding these cookies when I buy them...uh, maybe!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing all about Brussels which I had never heard of - always something new to learn. I am so glad to have you come link to "Friends Sharing Tea".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brussels are my favorite!!! (Surprised?) I definitely need to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan, thanks for stopping by the shop.
    I'm a fan of Pepperidge Farm too, especially Milano and Chessmen. I LOVE shortbread, but comfort food for me is typically salty.
    Love this recipe, thx for sharing with us.
    Oh, and Jess is doing the card deck swap next year too.
    XOXO's,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness Susan---I love Brussels also---Pepperidge Farm cookies are so good--must make a batch of these goodies for Halloween tea. Have a great day friend! xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooo Susan. Those look yummified.

    The lovely necklace came today. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!

    Hope you have a delightful Thursday! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. My word, those look good! ANd I want both those books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LUV brussels and mint milanos have been known to rock my world. :) My two PF favs, but you probably already guessed that my friend...I can just imagine a few of these with my morning coffee (or your afternoon tea). Someday we'll imbibe together. Have a great rest of your week, my friend! Lv, me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, I was headed over earlier to let you know that the apron has made its way to Miami and I am delighted. I felt the magic immediately and I will be posting next week.

    I am so sorry about your loss, my friend. Being a mom myself, my heart broke when I read your words.
    Sending hugs and prayers,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcia - your post was so inspiring.

      Delete
  13. Definitely have to bake these cookies too for coming holiday! They are irresistible with chocolate filling, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look perfect and yummy! I'm sure your homemade version trumps the store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I'm not picky about cookies...I like them all. I grew up next door to a Nabisco salesman. What bounty! All the outdated and broken packaging didn't alarm us a bit. My sister was a lot more discerning than I was for I remember her not liking shortbread cookies calling them "dog biscuits."

    Healthful cookies? I may just have to give them a try... They sure look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. um... these look delicious! Wish I had one right now! I like PF too... the Chesapeake (I think that's the name of it) is my fave! It is the dark choc chunk and pecan one!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Susan...Many years ago, when I was a young woman, I worked in the office of a bread company. The huge bakery was below my office. You can just imagine what that was like to work everyday with the wonderful smell of bread being baked. By the way, my favorite Pepperidge Farm cookie is Brussels....

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH, these put Pepperidge Farms to shame!

    ReplyDelete