Friday, February 1, 2013

Baltimore's Berger Cookies

Admittedly, I'm not a football fan, at least not professional sports, in spite of the fact that I was the sports editor of my high school newspaper and I had four brothers and was definitely a "tom-boy" growing up.  Nope, I just usually don't even watch the Super Bowl...not even the commercials.

However, a recipe that showed up on King Arthur Flour's Facebook page, had me definitely taking sides.  Baltimore's Berger Cookies are very similar to New York's Black & White cookies, although, instead of a thin white and chocolate glaze, these vanilla cake-like cookies are piled (with at least 1/2" thick) of a rich chocolate frosting.

This cookie began in 1835, when Henry Berger immigrated to the United States from Germany.  He pursued "the American dream" and opened a bakery in East Baltimore.  Henry had three sons; Otto, George, and Henry.  Young Henry helped his father in the original bakery, but Otto and George both started their own.  When Otto died, George and Henry combined the bakeries and called it Berger's.  After Henry's death, George, nearing retirement, sold the bakery to Charles Russell, who eventually turned over the bakery to two brothers, Charles and Benjamin DeBaufre.  Charles Jr., today still runs one of the most beloved cookie companies in the Mid-Atlantic states.

Baltimore's Berger Cookies  
by King Arthur Flour

Start by mixing up the frosting

Cover with plastic wrap and microwave (about 3 minutes, checking each time after 1 minute)
The frosting should sit out about 2 hours to set, then use a hand mixer to beat until fluffy
Dough is sticky and more cake-like than cookie dough 

Measure out cookies, then wet finger tips and press the cookie tops flat
Allow to cool completely before frosting
It was easier to scoop the frosting on top of the cookie, then take an off-set spatula to smooth 
All set for the game 
The vanilla cake with the fudge-like frosting was deeeelicious!
 I know there are a lot of households preparing for the the Big game...I'm going to pop in a movie, maybe knit, and enjoy some much needed quiet time.  Enjoy!
 

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I happen to love crows...although, this one is trying to pull off being a Raven:-D

      Delete
  2. Oh my that cookie/cake with all that frosting...yum!!! I don't usually watch the Super Bowl but I do enjoy treats!!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not familiar with this cookie but I love "localized" recipes and this looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't either and we lived in Maryland! But, I will tell you, it's one I'll make again, XOXO

      Delete
  4. I've never had Berger cookies, but these make me want them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Black & Whites, but this is even better. Thanks for stopping by...have a cookie, XOXO

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure why I torture myself (my husband, too, as he's standing over my shoulder asking about these cookies). We're dieting and it isn't going so well for me, though he's doing great. Typical. Anyway, if I were going to bake some cookies, I'm pretty sure I'd love to try these. What do you do with all the delights you bake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend you get to know your neighbors--mine love it when I bring some by, XOXO

      Delete
  6. Oh my LORD, Susan. D-E-C-A-D-E-N-T. I want to scarf them up right away. YUMMMMMMERS.

    Nope, no Super Bowl around here, either. Ha. I feel like a world recluse and don't even care. ha hahaha ha

    Take care and have a nice weekend, girlfriend. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great weekend too, my dear friend, XOXO

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed reading about these cookies. I love cookies! Will have to try these. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in Maryland, but had never heard of them...probably because my mother baked all the cookies I ever ate!!

      Delete
  8. If you're a puppy fan, Animal Planet channel is showing their 9th annual Puppy Bowl during the game. It's a darling alternative to watching guys grunting and fighting over a ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Animal Planet! Sounds like an adorable show to have on while knitting:-D

      Delete
  9. These would be long gone before the game started! I don't know anything about American football (which played by hands?), but that won't stop me from appreciating all the delicious treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are worth trying--I'm so happy that KAF introduced me to this delight! Game or not, I love the food too, XOXO

      Delete
  10. I've never had Berger cookies--they look delish! Enjoy your quiet time. xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My paternal grandmother grew up in Baltimore and I never heard her talk about them either...but she was probably so busy raising kids, she didn't have time to leave the house:)

      Delete
  11. Those cookies look great–I love all that frosting on them, Susan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mound of frosting sets beautifully and it's like having a "fudgey" cookie:-D

      Delete
  12. Yum!!! When it comes to football (and most other sports) I could take it or leave it, but I never miss a Super Bowl party --- too much good food! :-)

    These cookies look delicious! I remember eating some that look very similar in a small local bakery near where I grew up. My mom would always scrape half the frosting off before we could eat them, but if my grandpa was there, he stood guard to make sure we got to eat every last bit of it.

    Love you! Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say my mother had a sweet tooth and would have never made us scrape off the icing...she would have definitely made these if she had this recipe and enjoyed every bite!!
      Have fun at your Super Bowl party; I'm just happy my hubby has a "man cave" and I can really enjoy peace and quiet, XOXO

      Delete
  13. It's funny...with this cold (now bronchitis, ugh), I can't really taste much. Except for chocolate! :) I would love one of these today as I sit more than usual and sip more hot beverages than usual. :) Enjoy your quiet day...Loved the raven! Lv, me

    P.S. I made the eggnog season final batch of your scones this morning. This time with dried blueberries. Delicious. I'm thinking dates next time. I think I'm in love with dates...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dates too and I bet the dried blueberries were just as delicious. I think next time I'm going to do them with dried cherries! Take care of that cold; sending you love, XOXO

      Delete
  14. I am getting so hungry for something with chocolate! These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete