Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Chocolate Swirl~Cherry Scones

Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day was what we would call the day before Ash Wednesday and Lent began; it comes from the past tense of the English verb, shrive, which means to obtain absolution for one's sins.  My mother always made pancakes for the evening meal, which we thought was pretty cool to have breakfast for dinner.  (I'm making Red Velvet pancakes for dinner, which not only honors my mother's tradition, but to inspire for Valentine's Day too! recipe up tomorrow)

Mardi Gras is the French word for Fat Tuesday referring to the last day of enjoying rich, fatty foods before one begins the fasting during the Lenten season.  So, I decided to do it in a big way with these scones.  I discovered a new product on the King Arthur catalogue website called Chocolate "Schmear" and knew it would add the "richness" I was looking for in today's treat and adding cherries was...well, as they say, "the cherry on top!"
I used Candied Cherries, but dried or Maraschino would be great too! 
Chocolate Swirl~Cherry Scones
4 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
2 T baking powder
1/3 + 1 T granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and grated
1 3/4 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
1 cup chopped cherries (your choice)
1 jar of Chocolate "Schmear" 

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 T light Karo syrup
2 T heavy cream

Valentine Cupid Sprinkles (optional)

Preheat oven to 375F-degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, mix the dry ingredients.  Grate the cold butter and add to the flour mixture, mixing on Speed # 2 until it resembles coarse sand.  Add the egg to the heavy cream and whisk to combine.  While the mixer is running on low, slowly add the cream mixture and the cherries.  When the dough comes together, stop the mixer and turn out onto a floured board.  Knead just until the dough forms a ball.
 Lightly flour the board once again, and on top of the dough.  Roll out to about 1/2-inch thickness and spread the Chocolate "Schmear" over the dough, leaving about 1/2" perimeter of the dough.

Roll the dough from the back to the front, lengthwise and seal the seam.  Divide the "log" in half, half again and then, each of those quarters into thirds for 12 pieces.  Flatten slightly and place on the backing sheet.  
Brush the tops with some additional heavy cream and bake for 15 minutes, then rotate pans and continue baking another 7 to 9 minutes until golden brown. 

Allow to cool about 10 minutes.  Make glaze and drizzle over the scones.  Sprinkle with the Valentine Cupid Sprinkles, if desired.

The perfect treat to begin Mardi Gras--Laissez les bons temps rouler!" Enjoy!
 



10 comments:

  1. If I lived with you I would be 300 lbs! This looks so amazing! Happy 'Fat Tuesday'!!!

    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Fat Tuesday to you, dear friend! That's why I have good friends to give these to, XOXO

      Delete
  2. I ~heart~ this rolled up version of your scones! So unique, too, with the chocolate schmear. :) I'll be over tomorrow!! Lv, me

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chocolate schmear looks like dark chocolate. I saw this product in the KA catalogue and wondered if it was like Nutella. Happy Fat Tuesday and let the good times roll! xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lord have MERcy, Susan. Can I get on a plane and come over to your house NOW?

    Those look, well, pretty doggone delish. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cupid Sprinkle mix...now that's something I've not seen. These look wonderful and my hubby is telling me so as he is standing over my shoulder looking at them. He can't have them. He's doing very well on "the plan" and he's staying on "the plan" especially after those sugar cookies of the weekend. Still...they look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my if that doesn't look divine! I really wish my husband wasn't on a diet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Susan....I will pass this recipe on to my daughter. My grandchildren love scones for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look so delicious! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where in the world do you find such fabulous recipes and unusual ingredients! Not only are you talented with paper but with baking, too!

    ReplyDelete