Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Red Velvet Pancakes with Maple Cream Cheese Butter

Red Velvet anything is one of my favorites--it must be my Southern roots or the fact we live close to the Canadian border!  For Shrove Tuesday, I made pancakes, just like my mother did, but different:-D

Red Velvet (cake) began it's popularity in the late 40s and 50s at Canada's Eaton's Department Store, where their employees were sworn to secrecy about the ingredients.  The insurgence of this cake in the United States came after the movie, "Steel Magnolias" when the groom's cake, made in the shape of an armadillo, was red velvet!

Red Velvet Pancakes
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 T unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp. Red Velvet Emulsion (or 1 T. Red Food coloring)
2 T Dutch-processed cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, (or a hand-held mixer and large bowl) beat the sugar, eggs, oil and butter together until it emulsifies.  Add the Red Velvet Emulsion or food coloring, cocoa, and vanilla and mix once again.

Whisk briefly all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and add to the red velvet mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.

Heat griddle on med/low.  To test if the griddle is ready, sprinkle some water on the surface (I run my fingers under water and splash the surface)--the drops of water should "dance!"

Scoop or spoon the batter onto the surface, using the back of the spoon to spread the batter slightly.
Cool until you see the surface dry slightly, then flip.  I have a warming drawer, but you could also use a pancake "steamer" to keep them warm while making the rest of the pancakes.
Maple Cream Cheese Butter
1-8oz package cream cheese
2 T unsalted butter, softened to room temp.
1/4 cup maple syrup

In a medium bowl, using a mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until creamy.  Slowly add the maple syrup, beating well after each addition.  Turn mixer to med/high and beat until fluffy.  Add a scoop of Maple Cream Cheese Butter to each plate, then, serve some additional warm syrup on the side.
Beautiful red color and the delicious taste of the maple cream cheese butter was all I needed for this tradition my mother started.  Let the good times roll...and the maple syrup. Enjoy!  

 

19 comments:

  1. Susan, can I come and live with you? I can be packed and ready to go at any time just say when.

    Love Annie B..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Annie, of course you can...plenty of room and I would love the company:-D

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! These are amazing and red for Valentine's day...be still my heart!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great way to begin the day, for sure! Happy Valentine's Day, mon ami!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, Susan. My daughter is in a red velvet phase and will love these! Tobi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan
    I have never heard of Red velvet before but it certainly gives an exciting appearance to those pancakes. Cream cheese and maple syrup that also adds to them by far. Its got to be a wonderful combination of flavours.
    I don,t make pancakes anymore on pancake day (today) nobody here to eat them. I used to do them the traditional way with sugar and sprinkled with lemon.
    Keep well
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is a North America "thing," but oh, so good. I like your tradition of sugar and lemon...sounds like a great Spring time version for pancakes...hmmmmmmmmm:-D

      Delete
  5. Sounds like the perfect Valentine breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! Have a wonderful Valentine's Day and hoping the snow is starting to melt:-))

      Delete
  6. I was reading the ingredients with interest. I might be able to substitute and not use sugar in these. My hubby's favorite cake is Red Velvet! I know he would LOVE these! Doesn't buttermilk make everything better? Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only used 1/2 cup so, yes it would be easy to substitute. Happy Valentine's Day, XOXO

      Delete
  7. They sound intriguing, Susan. Hey, that maple cream cheese butter could be served with ALL pancakes, right? Yummy. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea there was a Canadian connection to red velvet cake! Alas, Eaton's went bankrupt in 1999.

    WHat an amazing Valentine's recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would want to try the maple cream cheese on popovers too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pancakes sound like such a great treat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! This would be a great start to anybody's day and maple cream cheese butter? DOUBLE oh my!

    ReplyDelete