Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Morning Muffins

A muffin for breakfast or an afternoon treat with a cup of tea is always a welcome site and these have a healthy dose of a grated apple, dates, and fresh orange juice to keep the flu bugs away.  This moist, tender-crumb muffin is easy to "throw" together and gives a busy family something warm from the oven before they have to go out into the cold.

Muffins are one of those quick breads that you have to be careful not to over beat.  This was a lesson I was taught by my mother and later when I was at the CIA, the Chef made a point to show what happens when you do over mix and the strands of protein in the flour break down--you pretty much get soup!  I find if I beat the wet ingredients, then remove the bowl from the mixer's stand and stir in the dry ingredients, I can't go wrong.

Recipes for muffins showed up as early as the 19th century here in America.  It's definitely a popular treat for the morning with Blueberry, Banana, and Pumpkin topping the charts at most bakeries.  I know when I'm busy, a muffin is a quick way to get a start to my day.

Morning Muffins
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 up vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
2 T honey
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 apple, peeled and grated (you should have about 1 cup grated apple)
1 cup chopped dried dates
3/4 cup fresh orange juice


3 Cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 400F-degrees.  Line a 12-cup muffin pan with papers or spray with a non-stick baking spray.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment.  Cream the butter, oil, sugar and honey together until light.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add the vanilla extract and mix once more.  Remove bowl from the stand--the mixture should be light and fluffy.

 Add the dry ingredients, grated apple, dates and orange juice and fold in, using a spatula.
Scoop batter into the prepared muffin pan, if desired, add a dehydrated apple slice to the top of the muffin.

 
 Bake for 5 minutes in the 400-degree oven, then lower the heat to 350F-degrees and bake an additional 18 to 20 minutes until golden brown and a skewer in the center comes out cleanly.
Peel back the paper and enjoy a luscious muffin with your favorite morning beverage.
Moist and flavorful--these muffins were a hit this morning. Enjoy!
 

24 comments:

  1. I love muffins! I am a grab and go morning person and muffins are perfect for that! I like the healthy ingredients in these! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Make eating breakfast a no-brainer...which is what I want in the morning, XOXO

      Delete
  2. Mmmm.. this looks insanely delicious... I'm going to keep the recipe for future baking... Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The combination of the apple and dates are delicious--next time, I'm trying pear:-)

      Delete
  3. Honestly, Susan, those look SOOOO luscious. I'll have to try those. In your previous post, the pineapple bundt cakes looked yum, too. Can't say as I've ever roasted pineapple but I'd like to.

    Thanks a million for all your visits and comments to my blog, too. Love having you be such a faithful follower. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roasting really brings out the flavor and these mini bundts cakes were a big hit here too.

      Thanks for being part of my life too, XOXO

      Delete
  4. It's a date! :) I love muffins!! Almost any kinda, really, sans raisins. I like the addition of the dried apple on top, too. Some butter and I'm set. :) Have a wonderful week, my dear friend. Lv, me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made these with you in mind...and our love of dates! Hope you're feeling better, XOXO

      Delete
  5. That even sounds delicious...morning muffins! I could probably make these without the sugar and they would be good! When you add fruit and juice it sweetens the dough! Great recipe my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could probably try NutraSweet, but I wouldn't take out all of the sugar--it's important for the "raising" part of the process:-)

      Delete
  6. Why do I come to your blog when I am hungry? And why do we live so far away from each other? These look amazing! Anything with apple in it reminds me of my childhood in upstate New York, where apples were bountiful and made their way into so many of our daily meals. xoxoxo, Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apples are big here too...duh! I used my favorite variety, Honey Crisp in these muffins. I think they taste like biting into a glass of apple cider:-D

      Delete
  7. I love dates and this sounds like a great way to use them. Adding apples and orange juice makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have added apple cider too, but I had some oranges that a friend gave us that I wanted to use up. And, because the batter was moist, I didn't pre-soak the dates.

      Delete
  8. Your muffins look wonderful and I do hope you will link them over to "Friends Sharing Tea".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did link them, but wish I was in your shop having a cup of tea and enjoying these together, XOXO

      Delete
  9. They sure look delicious. The presentation is wonderful and the additionof the dehydrated apple adds that extra something. I remembered what you said about not overworking the muffin batter. It made for a real muffin and not a piece of coffee cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to add something that would tell the person enjoying this will know that there are apples inside. Although, I think next time, I will add the apple slice about 10 or 15 minutes after the muffin had started to bake because they got a little brown around the edges. Stay warm, XOXO

      Delete
  10. These muffins sound like a hit to me.....question...what is that paper you lined your tin with? is it parchment paper just cut into squares?
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy this parchment squares already twisted into a "cup" shape, but they're easy to make too. Take a 4" or 5" square of parchment paper. Place it over the opening of the muffin "well" and using a small glass, push down and twist counter-clockwise all at the same time.

      Delete
  11. These muffins look great! Thanks for the tip about not over-mixing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! I have a hankering for muffins and these look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These muffins look wholesome, Susan. Love the idea of using dehydrated apple slice as the topping.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummy! And thanks for the tip on how not to overbeat the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete