Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sundae Social Cookies

Did you know, that one of the stories surrounding the Sundae, actually claims that it was a dessert developed to counteract the so-called Blue Laws forbidding ice cream and ice cream sodas on Sunday!  The druggists added chocolate syrup over ice cream and gave it a different name.  Furthermore, the spelling was changed so not to offend religious conventions.  There are several cities throughout the United States that claims the first sundae--1881 to 1891; but all I know is that it is a sweet treat and has with it a memory of spending time with my mother.

Farrell's was an ice cream shop we frequented in Springfield, Virginia whenever we went to the mall.  My mother loved the "Triple Threat," which was vanilla ice cream that came with three containers of hot fudge to pour over it.  I have to say, I miss those sundaes and have never had anything else like them.  The cookie I came up with today pays homage to that sundae--chocolate, roasted peanuts...with a cherry on top:-D

Sundae Social Cookies

3/4 cup + 2T (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 T heavy cream
1 T vanilla extract
2 3/4 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup roasted, salted peanuts, chopped
1 cup maraschino cherries, quartered
Preheat oven to 350F-degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together, thoroughly.  Add the egg, vanilla and heavy cream and beat once again. 

Whisk together the dry ingredients and add to the batter.  While the mixer is running, add the chocolate chips, peanuts and cherries and mix well.

Scoop cookie dough with a 1/4-cup scoop, spacing the cookies apart about 2 inches for spreading. 
Use your fingertips to press dough down slightly

Bake in preheated oven 12 to 14 minutes, until golden brown.  Allow to cool 5 minutes, then, transfer to a rack to cool completely.

As much as hot fudge sundaes are my favorite, my hubby and daughter, Erin, love butterscotch (or caramel) so feel free to substitute the bittersweet chips for butterscotch chips.  What is your favorite sundae? Enjoy!


  




27 comments:

  1. I just gained 5 lbs reading about these cookies! They look so delicious. I will try these for sure.
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a big hit with friends; we reminisced about Farrell's and those BIG sundaes, XOXO

      Delete
  2. Susan I did not know the history behind the Sundae. All I know is I love them! Lol..We always tease the grandchildren when we take them to get a sundae, we can't get one on any day but Sunday. Yes, we think we are funny! The cookies look like a great addition to ice cream. xoxo ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use to say the same thing too! That's why our daughters called us THE GRISWALDS!

      Delete
  3. Oh Susan, I didn't know any of that about why sundaes are called that. Very interesting!

    The cookies? Yummified, as usual. Great job. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting what you discover now a days! I'll definitely make these again, XOXO

      Delete
  4. Can I get a YUM YUM...anything with those yummy cherries - WHOOT WHOOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I knew you'd liked these with the cherries, XOXO

      Delete
  5. That looks delicious! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they might be a good substitute just in case it's too cold to eat ice cream where you are:-) XOXO

      Delete
  6. Oh, those cookies look marvelous! Was the Farrell's you went to a chain? We used to go to a Farrell's in San Diego in the seventies. Sort of a firehouse decor, and they would blow a siren on your birthday or when someone finished an enormous sundae they made called "The Trough" (as in pig trough)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting.fun post I'll share that with the family.Can't begin to tell you how much I love your sweet comments they always make my day thanks! Xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those cookies look delicious! When I was pregnant with Rachel (my first), it had to be 2 scoops of mint chocolate chip with hot fudge, whipped cream, chopped peanuts and a cherry... each and every night before bed. It's amazing I didn't gain 400 pounds :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably have one of those "lucky" metabolisms!! You could easily change these up with a substitution of mint chips instead of bittersweet...just saying:-) XOXO

      Delete
    2. Oh, what a great idea! About once a month I buy a bag of Andes mint chips, but I usually end up eating them all plain before I get around to baking anything :-).

      Delete
  9. Those cookies sound great! Our family went to a Farrell's when I was growing up--loved that place! And thanks for the interesting story behind the ice cream sundae! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the old fashioned ice cream parlors...not everything is scoop and take:-) We loved taking the girls there for their birthdays; there was nothing like the excitement of the siren! XOXO

      Delete
  10. A darling presentation and I am sure - taste too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am couting the calories these days :-( , gained a few kilos last months...but I need to bake some cookies soon! These look fabulous, susan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Susan

    How are you my dear friend. I hope you are well and happy. Its been a while but so nice to come meet you here again.

    Lots of love to you
    Suzanne
    X

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute idea for a cookie! I love how you photographed them in the dessert dish:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you my dear lovely friend for your heart felt words. I will treasure your friendship forever. How is it possible to truely feel a friends love from so far away~ Thank you.

    Love you
    Suzanne
    X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan,
    You won the Tasting Colorado cookbook giveaway. Congratulations!! I am so happy that you are the winner.
    Would you mind sending me your mailing address, so I can forward it to the author Michele Morris. She will send you a signed copy directly to you.
    Congratulations again my friend!
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Yummy! And no ice cream or ice cream sodas on Sunday! Oh the horror! Ice cream on Sunday has gotten me through some TOUGH times!

    ReplyDelete