Thursday, August 13, 2009

Let's Bake

I'm a cookbookholic! I have easily over 600 cookbooks; most of them on baking. Everyday I bake...something. This morning I did bagels because a friend was coming over to help with a project, but most days, it's just to bake. I give about 80% away as gifts and I'm always being asked for recipes. It becomes quite daunting to write them down, so I thought I'd share it through this blog; what cookbook I used, how the recipe turned out, if I'd made any changes to the recipe, and share new techniques or baking equipment I've discovered. I'll also give hints (with photos) on presentation...because presentation is everything. 365 Days of baking!

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what's on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I want to bake bagels! Is it hard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bagels are absolutely the easiest to make. Just remember...the water should simmer, not boil and proof your yeast to make sure it's good. That's it. You'll get perfect bagels each time.

    Try some variations: Use half whole-wheat flour and knead in 3/4 cup of raisins. You can also add some cinnamon chips to the dough, then, after they come out of the "water bath" and sprayed with the Bread Shine, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.

    ReplyDelete