Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Linzer Cookies

Last week, when I was filing my recent "cut-outs", I came across this recipe for Linzer Cookies from Country Living mazazine, September 1995. The photo in the article was so inviting and I knew one day I would make these luscious cookies. Today was the day. I bought fresh raspberries and hazelnuts at our Farmer's Market on Saturday; preserved nine jars of jam, knowing I would make these cookies this week. These cookies on based on the classic version of a Vienese Linzer torte which features a hazelnut pastry with a raspberry jam filling and topped with a pastry lattice-work. Here is the recipe:

3/4 cup ( 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup ground hazelnuts (or you can use ground almonds)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
10 T raspberry jam
Confectioner's sugar (10X)

1. In a large mixing bowl, using the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Scrape down sides. Beat in egg, vanilla and lemon rind.
2. Reduce speed to low, add flour, ground nuts, spices, and salt. Mix just until combined. Scrape bowl and turn dough out. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for several hours.
3. Divide dough in half. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of floured waxed paper, to about 1/4-inch. Place the rolled dough (between the waxed paper) in the freezer for 10 minutes for ease in cutting out the shapes.
4. It calls for greasing 2 baking sheets, but I used my Silpats. With a lightly floured 4-inch scalloped round cookie cutter, tart tin, or paper pattern, cut out 5 cookies. Spread each cookie with 1 T of raspberry jam. With remaining dough, use a fluted pastry wheel to cut 1/4-inch strips for lattice-work. Repeat with second piece of dough.
5. Heat over to 375-degreesF. Bake 12-15 minutes or until firm and golden brown. (I used Convection Baking at 355-degrees)) Remove from oven and let cool on baking pan for 5-10 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar, using a small strainer or shaker.
Store in an airtight container.

I can honestly say, they taste as good as they look and will certainly be a favorite to make in the future. Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Are you serious--these look so good!Why don't I have one in my mouth right now?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! As you know, I am more into chocolate than fruit fillings but these look so pretty with the powdered sugar on top and "cuppa" tea along with
    Erin

    ReplyDelete