Saturday, August 15, 2009

Scone Nibbles







Todays recipe comes from King Arthur Flour. You can download a copy by going to: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/ and click on "recipes".




This is the second time I've made these Scone Nibbles and I have to tell you, they've come out perfect each time.




I love scones. They're not too sweet...just enough to satisfy. My first attempt at scones was a recipe my Great grandmother Caroline made. My mother passed the recipe down to me with the story how she looked forward to them when she went to visit. They had a wood stove, and if anyone can remember, these stoves had a compartment that was what we'd deem a "warming drawer". It kept baked goods perfect!


My Great Grandmother's Recipe is called "English Tea Scones"

4 cups all purpose flour

2 T. sugar

4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

2/3 cup cold unsalted butter

1 1/3 cups half-&-half

1 large egg

1/4 cup raisins, or currents, (or used your favorite dried fruit, i.e., cranberries, cherries)


Heat over to 425F. Grease a large baking pan. (I use a spray). In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients and whisk. Add the butter and use a a pastry cutter to mix with the dry ingredients. (If I'm in a hurry, I put the dry ingredients in my food processor, add the butter and pulse until I have coarse crumbs). In a small bowl, whisk the egg and half-&-half. Measure out 2 T. (will be used to brush on top of the scones). Pour into dry mixtures and stir just until it comes together. Turn our on a lightly floured board and knead 5 to 8 times. Divide dough in half and with a floured rolling pin, roll each half into a 7-inch circle. Cut each circle into 4 wedges. Place scones on prepared baking sheet. Pierce tops with the tines of a fork and brush with the reserved egg/cream mixture. Bake 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. Any tips for substituting frozen or fresh berries instead of dried fruit?
    I bet chocolate chips would be yummy too
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blueberries will work well; strawberries do not. Be careful when you're handling the dough not to "squish" the berries. Chocolate chips are great. In fact, that's what is called for in the Scone Nibble recipe; they use mini chips. You can also try cinnamon chips, which can be found at www.kingarthurflour.com.

    ReplyDelete